Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new here! looking for help  (Read 1143 times)

Offline comickie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new here! looking for help
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:20:32 PM »
Good morning all;
I am hoping that someone out there will read this and respond to me.  I am a 38 year old female with a hx of knee problems since young teenage years.  My doctors kept telling me that there was nothing wrong, unti finally one day my knee gave out and I hit the ground.  Doing additional damage from the fall itself.  Several years later, I have had a total of 4 knee surgeries on my left knee.  Cartlidge, Ligaments, Bursa sak removal, and lateral release.  I have done well with those with a full recovery able to do more then ever before with a healthy, strong, knee, until recently  :-[  I fell leaving out of my home clearing 3 steps and landing on our concrete garage floor on that very knee.  I immediately heard and felt popping and the pain was terrible.  I didn't seek medical tx right away as I thought that maybe I had just brused the knee and it was my daughters birthday and we were heading out the door to attend her birthday party.  Now weeks later, I am still experiencing swelling, popping and bone to bone grinding when bending and straighting the knee.  I have just had another mri done, but don't yet have the results back.  My question is I have never experienced a burning feeling up under the knee cap and up the outside muscle, or ligament(not sure which) before.  What is this feeling caused by and has anyone else ever felt it before?  I am scared that when I return to the OS he is going to tell me another knee scope or worse.  can anyone give me some information or advice. Ice and heat are not helping this and it is worse when sitting for longer periods of time.  Any information that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!  Scared to death............. thanks.
Mickey  ;)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: new here! looking for help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 03:37:08 PM »
Mickey, this sounds like nervpain. Is it constant or comes and goes ? And is it in certain positions ?
Maybe there's swelling on a nerv. Hope you get the answers soon.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
Mickey,

It sounds to me like you may have some maltracking of the patella (when you say bone to bone grinding when bending and straightening the knee), this is one of the most common signs of a maltracking patella, along with the burning pain.  If your MRIs don't show anything I would make sure you see a qualified knee surgeon and pursue this until you find out exactly what's wrong.  If it is a maltracking patella and you don't have it looked at properly you could be putting yourself at risk of further damage to your cartilage and causing osteoarthritis.  Good luck with getting a diagnosis.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline comickie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 02:51:43 PM »
Natalie;
Thank you for your response.  I did have the MRI done and the OS called me to come into his office this morning. He stated to me that the mri disclosed that the ligaments and meniscus were fine, however there is alot of torn cartlidge in there that they need to go in and clean out as well as the pain and burning up under the knee cap tells him that there is some there as well as other potential problems with the knee cap being out of place again slightly.  This was a problem with my last surgery 5 years ago.  They are going to do the surgery on Monday so along with nerves about it, I only have to deal with the pain and swelling a few more days.  I guess it could be worse.  However, I am not looking forward to having to be on the crutches again.  I thought that I had got rid of them along time ago.  He said that with normal everyday movement that the cartlidge is just doing more damage inside the knee and it needs to be done as soon as possible.
Mickey :-\

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 12:43:28 AM »
Mickey,

I'm glad that you got some answers from your MRI results, and your OS is able to help you out. It does stink to be on crutches again, but at least you'll be handling the problem before any more damage is done. Hopefully this will spell the end of your troubles.

Good luck on Monday. Please let us know how you make out.

All my best.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:14:22 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:32:25 AM »
Mickey,

Hello there! Sorry to hear about your knee again. The good thing is that you got answers from your OS fairly quickly so that will hopefully give you a little bit less time to worry!  :-\  Keep us posted...I am sure many people here will be thinking of you!

Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »
Mickey

Glad you got some answers quickly, that's half the battle when at least you know what's causing the pain.  Good luck with your surgery, I've had the same surgery and didn't find it too bad at all.  Hope all goes well for you.

Natalie.  ;D
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline comickie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks all for your kind comments!  I am a bit nervous about the surgery because I don't do well with the anesthetic and it makes me really sick.  I know it will be a rather simple surgery and it will all go well.  I will just be glad when it's over.  I am a bit confused though, in the MRI report it states that there is a chondral irregularity in the medial compartment.  That is the inside of the knee.  My pain is not on the inside of the knee, it's the outside.  What does this mean? Is this something that they will fix during the surgery as well? or is this just something that is going to be there the rest of my life?
Thanks,
Mickey 8)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 01:47:08 PM »
Mickey,

We don't always have pain in connection with damage (does that make sense?), sometimes we can be in a lot of pain with very minimal damage and of course the reverse also applies, lots of damage with minimal pain.  When the surgeon is doing the arthroscopy, in my experience, they usually will fix anything that they come across if it can be fixed there and then, if not, I imagine they would schedule you in at a later date for any appropriate surgery.

Natalie
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements