Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: strange shin  (Read 959 times)

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
strange shin
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »
Hi All
I'm still plodding away at my recovery/ acl surgery 9/12/05
Doing well and right where I am supposed to be in rehab.   
I have a strange looking rather 'ruddy' color on the front of my shin,covering an area roughly the size of my hand. and it feels warm to the touch, and very tender. 
Earlier had some pain in the side of my calf, but that has worked itself out.  (Thanks for the advise on that)
This is not getting any worse, although my PT suggested I keep an eye on it and see my Dr. if it does.   He said it did not look like infection, but was a little puzzled.   After I got home, I researched blood clots, and the symptoms are redness, puffy and tender and warm feeling.  Lower leg seems to be common.   As it was late, I took asprin, elevated my leg, wrapped it up in elastic bandage for support, did heel pumps on and off during the night.    This morning the symptoms have actually decreased.   Not wanting to make yet another trip to the doctor if it is not necessary, my plan is to watch it today, and follow through as last night.   
Just wondered if any of you had this same thing happen, and what was it ?
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

shadehawk

Re: strange shin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »
Hi,

Don't think that I'd fool around with this.  Why not go and get it checked out and then you would know if there was anything to worry about or not??

Good luck,

Shade

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: strange shin
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:58:44 PM »
Thought I'd post an update on this problem....
Turns out is is some type of cellulitis or inflammation at the upper level of my skin, NOT anything deeper like a blook clot.
(relief !!!!!)
It was probably initially caused by the ill fitting of my leg brace,   grrr. 
Glad I got the leg brace figured out 2 days after hospital release!   (I talked about this in an earlier post.....)
It was suggested that I should be continuing to wear either a sugical stocking or compression wrap on that leg as a preventative measure for circulation issues.   Everything seems to be fine, and although still some red remains, things are looking more normal.   I am now "blooming" with the post op bruises that are all coming to the surface.   Lovely .
My PT continues to tell me that my recovery is going great, and I will see my OP for the first time since surgery tomorrow morning.
Shade, thanks for your response....... I too was a bit concerned.   Hope you are doing well.
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

support