Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: leg swelling and knee aching Help!  (Read 2541 times)

Offline robyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
leg swelling and knee aching Help!
« on: March 03, 2003, 04:43:30 AM »
I have been in and out of doctors offices for the past 6 months with no luck. Every other weekend my left leg (the entire leg)swells up almost double. It starts with a stiffness in my left knee and the swelling then begins, by Sunday I can barely walk. It really did not hurt in the beginning, I just could not straighten it all the way but a couple of times it swelled really badly and throbbed. Usually by Monday afternoon it is almost normal again.I am assuming that the reason it happens on the weekend is because during the week I spend most of the day at my desk. I have had ultrasound for blood clots and have been waiting to get into the rheumotologist because I had a positive ANA and tested negative for Rheumatoid conditions. THis is not the first problem I have had. I was in the ortho surgeon's office for dequervains. The rheumolotogist just rescheduled my appointment and I am ready to cry....Am I on the right track??? :o

Offline LucyC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: leg swelling and knee aching Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 01:07:59 PM »
Robyn

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time at the moment, I can sort of sympathise with you, for the last 6 months my entire knee has been swelling every 6 days for 6 days at a time, it too starts with an ache. Its rotten isn't it. Mine however is not related to any amount of exercise or non exercise I do. I have inflammatory arthritis (seronegative monoarthropathy). Its horrible I know, to have your leg swollen, for ages I didn't have the right pain killers as although the pain went, the actual "pressure" pain caused by the swelling could never be relieved. Its this pressure build up that casues you pain.

It does sound like the swelling of your leg could be related to your constant sitting posture during the week. Are you able to take regular breaks and if you do does the swelling subside a little at the weekend if you get up and walk around. Maybe you could go for more toilet breaks (even if you don't need to go) lock yourself in the cubicle and do some stretching exercises with your leg. If you can manage 4 times a day this may help.

What do you or can you do when its swollen?Do you have to rest it or are you able to walk around, and does the swelling subside if you do move it around a bit? Hopefully your rheumatologist will be able to see you soon, if not, hassle his secretary (if you can) explain you are in desperate need to see him as you are in a lot of pain. Or go back to your doctors and demand he refers you to the rheumatologist, it does pay to hassle.

I really hope you get some answers soon, sorry I'm not able to tell you whats wrong, but if you ever need some support, message me any time, I understand what its like to be in pain and not have any answers for it. I had to wait 6 months before they diagnosed me, then a year later after having been put on medication that was controlling it, it all went wrong again...and I now have to wait for an operation....it can be so frustrating just waiting.

Good luck with everything, if you need me just shout.

Lucy
Jan 01:swelling LK: arthoscopy,diagnosed - seronegative monoarthopathy. Symptom free 1yr. June 02 constant, painful, swellings.March 03 - partial synovectomy. Worse swelling. Jan 04 open synovectomy

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 06:10:25 PM »
Hi Robyn,
this swelling is SO frustrating. I have also been diagnosed with seroneg monoarthropathy. My knee is constantly swollen & stiffens. However I am lucky in that I have very little pain (unless I overdo things then it aches). The pain was helped by my last op, but the swelling has remained.
Have you had any previous operations on your knee, and if not are any being considered - if only to go in and have a look. Have you had an MRI scan?
I too often have my rheumatologist appts re-scheduled - and with 2 months between appts I can really identify with your frustrations.
Have you tried any anti-inflam drugs?
I hope you get to see the rheumatologist soon, and this gets the ball rolling to a solution.
Best of luck
Ros
PS - Hi Lucy - I also do the exercises in the toilet cubicle! I sometimes do this in the small kitchen at work, but do tend to get odd looks! Any news on your op yet?!
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline robyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 06:31:04 PM »
Thanks Rosa and LucyC...It is very frustrating. I was wondering if it was an injury, but my doctor is pretty sure it is lupus which can damage the joint. It has not started hurting as well as swelling....Yuck...Rheumotologists are a pain!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 06:31:54 PM by robyn »

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 10:28:23 AM »
Hi Robyn,
the rheumatologist will be able to test you for all sorts of things, including lupus. Have you a history of it in your family? I think this is one thing that they look for, although I dont know much about it. However, I did think it was associated more with joint pain rather than swelling. Also, I think there may be weight loss and a rash. This was one of the things they considered for me, but ruled it out pretty quickly.
This web site about arthritic conditions has a link to lupus:
http://www.orthop.washington.edu/arthritis/types
I think that you should also mention to the rheumatologist that you dont want to rule out the possibility of it being an injury or a mechanical problem - if you get a good one, they will know about this also.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 02:35:04 PM »
Hi
Here is a whole site dedicated to monarthritis and monoarthropathy (swelling and inflammation in a single joint) -
http://merck.micromedex.com/bpm/bpm.asp?page=CPM02RH394&section=report&ss=5
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

support