Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: VP Cheney's knee aneurism?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Athena

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
VP Cheney's knee aneurism?
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:56:14 PM »
Apparently the VP is having elective surgery soon for what they are saying is a knee aneruism. Never heard of that before. I searched this board and nothing came up, and I was wondering if anyone knew what that was, how they are diagnosed and what the surgery does. Thanks.
Osteoarthritis both knees and shoulders. Had Synvisc (Hyalgan) in R. knee-it helped for 3 mos. Had L. knee scoped for lots of torn cartilege - feels better. Thinking about getting R. knee scoped.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: VP Cheney's knee aneurism?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:59:37 PM »
Athena...here's a quote from MSNBC re Cheney's surgery...kath

An aneurysm is a ballooning weak spot in an artery that, as blood pounds through, can eventually burst if left untreated.

Those in the knee, popliteal aneurysms, act a little differently. They’re less likely to burst than are aneurysms in other parts of the body. But blood clots can form in the weakened artery that can break off and cause a stroke, or block circulation in the leg.

Typical surgical repair is to open the leg and sew a fabric patch onto the artery to reinforce the weak spot.
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:37:55 PM »
Well, that sounds just lovely, doesn't it! :o
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 11:30:01 AM »
Hi,

Cheney's aneurysm is in an artery behind his right knee.  Probably a painful recovery, I'd think.....Only a local anesthesia though to do the procedure.

Always learning something new on this site.

Shade