Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: P.C.L  (Read 757 times)

Offline ERIC THE VIKING

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
P.C.L
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:08:01 AM »
I had a serious Trailbike accident 4 years ago nearly leaving this world after a broken pelvis,femur,radius and ulnar loosing great amounts of blood and a torn up knee!!!!! ouch
I was first told that I had torn my P.C.L in half resulting in a grade 3 sag
After 3 years of flights and much rehab(in the public system) I have been told that the P.C.L is complete but is slack
The surgeon in Perth Western Australia had told me that it is a grade 2 and he will operate next year (recon).
He explained that he could not promise anything as most of the time they can only get the knee to a stage 2.
Can some one please let me know how others have gone with this and if it is worth spending the money and going private ( I have no heath insurance) but would like the best posible outcome.
Anyone that has had experience with this sort of procedure ?
Please Help ;D

Offline SKOM

• Regular Poster
Re: P.C.L
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:19:17 AM »
It's true on most PCL's never getting back to it's original firmness. I have a grade 2 from a 3 after 2 recons 9 years apart with the recent 2 months ago. I would not have paid out of pocket for the results; atleast i dont think i would if it cost multi thousand as I was able to do most everything but HATED the sag feeling when walking as the knee bent!...Not to mention I had some ACL lax too.

If I knew now, I would have opted for a tibial inlay (newer) as the trans tibial technique wasn't the greatest for me, might have had what they call the "killer turn effect". I suppose it depends on how much you suffer with daily lifestyles. This much is true though, the longer other ligaments have to take up the slack of a deficient one, they too in time begin to become lax from being stressed and the results become even less favorable for a solid knee. No matter what, the knee will never be like the other I'm sorry to say in this case. KJ on the board has a similiar knee like mine and has some/much success after 2 years into rehab. He said it is solid which is unusual i think. But hey, everyone is different. You can email me personally for additional info any share stories. PCL people seem to bond nicely. ;)
ACL/PCL Reconstruction (96)
Partial Medial Meniscectomy (03)
Post Lateral Corner reinforcement (too help with Laxity issues) (03)
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (05)
ACL/PCL Revision (05) Hamstring, Achilles Allografts.

Leader of the "Lax" Knee Clan!

Offline panossary

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: P.C.L
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:39:01 AM »
I had the acl and pcl reconstructed at the same time by separating my patellar tendon into 3rds. I gather it's unusual. I had the lcl and mcl reconstructed at other (multiple) surgeries. I have no sag and no complaints with stability although am having a tough time with arthritis...Hope that helps. Good luck. panossary