Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unusual Diagnosis - Anyone Else?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Transient Me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unusual Diagnosis - Anyone Else?
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:04:02 AM »
While I am new to the forum, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks since my last visit to the OS.
I had already seen three medical professionals because my insurance only pays for visits that follow a specific sequence (ER Doctor, Family Physician, OS Physician's Assistant, then OS) and everyone was sure I had a medial meniscus tear. 

After six weeks I finally had an MRI and then got to meet the OS. His first words were, "We know whats causing the pain, but you won't like it." I knew I didn't like the idea of a meniscal tear, but this seemed just a bit more ominous.

There is thinning in the femoral condyle characteristic of Migratory Transient Osteoporosis. What?

Best explanation he could give me was that it was an extremely rare condition similar to AVN, but self-limiting. There is no particular treatment other than crutches for protection from fractures or bone collapse and to minimize pain (weight bearing is unbearable right now) and then let it run its course. Typically, the condition worsens until bone mass "bottoms out" and then spontaneously begins recovering. The whole process can take up to a year. In the meantime, I have another MRI coming up to monitor progression and to confirm that it is definitely not AVN. Either way, I am on crutches indefinitely.

Good news is it is transient (meaning that it will go away). Bad news is it is migratory (meaning it will come back elsewhere). I was just wondering if anyone else might have a similar condition?

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Unusual Diagnosis - Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:11:03 PM »
Sorry I can't help you.  That sounds plain weird.  Have they recommended you see a rheumatologist, just to rule out things like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus? 

Hope they find out they were wrong, and they can treat you without any recurrances.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »
awww sorry to hear about the unsual diagnosis. if you makes you feel any better all docotors open their conversation with me...well this is unsual, or this is rare or I have never seen this in my career...

Also what is AVN?? I ask because my OS looked for it also.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:11:14 PM »
Hi,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16129757&dopt=Citation

Found this article, hope it helps you some  -  It mentions treatment for this condition....

Good luck,

Shade

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:39:47 PM »
Transient...

Best of luck. Keep us posted as to what happens!

Heather
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005