Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: brace properly fitted ?  (Read 826 times)

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
brace properly fitted ?
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:18:35 AM »
Here is an observation I just want to pass on to those of you who are 'fitted' for a rehab brace post op.
The PT at the hospital who was responsible for putting my brace on the first time did a real careless job of getting it fitted.   Instead of making adjustments to the thing so it fit ME properly, he just strapped it on and said "there".    It didn't look right, it didn't fit comfortably, and I was pretty doped up and didn't know the difference until I got home, and started messing around with it.   I got on the internet and found some good basic instructions for fitting the straps to the individual, and within a few minutes, had adjusted it properly.   Much better.    Like so many other things in life, we have to take responsibility for making sure we get a fair shake.   Seems like more and more the quality of the work ethic is going downhill.
For me this was a fixable irritation.   For someone more dependant on their caretakers, it would have been worse.
Be aware, and question things when they don't seem right. :)
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: brace properly fitted ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:21:25 PM »
Mine was put on in thatre, back to front! luckily the physio came and sorted it, trimmed it and turned it around the day after. I hate it though, if i tighten it it cuts off blood to foot, and if i loosen it it slips down all the time. Mostly being naughty and not wearing it unless i go out... good luck with yours..only 6 weeks left with mine!
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »
They put mine on ten minutes after they woke me up och. Then they put it on back to front and then it turned out that one of the hinges was the wrong way round....errr and the reg is meant to be clever!

Lol for the PT who sorted it out
M
x
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 03:07:19 PM »
So some of you have had a bad fitting experience too !   .... See. I just don't think that should happen, in fact, it is inexcusable.   I intend to talk to my OP about that when I see him later in the week.    I'm guessing that the doctors don't realize that the brace fitting is an issue.   I would urge all of you who have had the same experience to speak up to your doctor.   
Whover is in charge of fitting the brace should be well versed in how they work, take time to fit it right, and then check back with the patient to make sure it is correct.   We as patients (and our insurance companies)  are paying a bundle for that service.   Perhaps everyone that fits a brace on someone should wear one themselves for a time to see how it is supposed to feel.    Once I got mine correctly adjusted, it is much more comfortable, and works just fine.   Before, it was a torture device.
Thanks for your responses, I wish you all good healing.
Ann
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005