Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help...I have no clue what happened...  (Read 882 times)

Offline uconndreamer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help...I have no clue what happened...
« on: September 18, 2005, 11:19:38 PM »
I am an avid high school athlete (living in a small town, sports are my life!!!) and rarely have I ever been injured.  Last night, during the warm up of our league opener, I managed to land quite aquardly on my left leg...and felt a popping on the left side of my left knee.  The popping increased as I walked on it, and the pain too increased. :-\  It's not an ACL or an MCL injury, because of the location of the pain and the tightness of the joint.  There is not much swelling, if any (as long as I am off of it...) yet walking is extremely painful, as is bending it.  The pain reaches from the left side of my knee, not so much near the actual knee or the knee cap, but directly on the side, to all the way to behind it.  I am going to the doctor in the morning...but I just didn't want him to pull my leg (pardon the pun) or tell me that I need to be out for a month, when really all I may need to do is ice it.  ANY help or advice is appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Uconndreamer
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 11:26:56 PM by uconndreamer »

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
Re: Help...I have no clue what happened...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 11:50:50 PM »
Hi UConn,

Sorry I don't have more information for you, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck tomorrow. Are you seeing your general practitioner? He may simply refer you to an orthopedist (OS) who specializes in these kinds of injuries. I don't think that he would tell you to stay off it for a month without consulting with an OS first. If he doesn't refer you and would like to be, you could always ask him to...

Good luck, keep us posted!
Heather W. 
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 02:26:58 AM »
Is there a burning tugging pain involved in the back of the knee?  You might want to check with an orthopedic on that. A GP most likely will take an xray and probably won't show anything if it is a cartilage issue. An OS would best suit your needs . Hope it isn't anything that won't require more than RICE. But you should get it checked out I think.  Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 02:34:48 AM »
Without wanting to get you concerned, it sounds like Cartilage to me. I had similar symptoms to those when I damaged mine.

You said pain on the left side, but no MCL, so I'm assuming it's your Left leg and it sounds as though you MIGHT have damaged the cartiliage on your lateral side.

Get it checked out if you can. You don't have to rush off and make one with an OS either (unless you already have). Most Sports Physicians will be able to give you a pretty accurate diagnosis, but I wouldn't be going to a GP because chances are he'll probably refer you to someone else anyway.

In the meantime I found that ice helped immensely with the swelling and pain.

Good luck.

May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »
Don't rely on where the pain is to tell you what you've done. My main symptoms were indicative of a medial meniscus tear (locking, swelling and pain all around joint). When they finally got in there for a look it was a lateral meniscus tear and a shredded acl. Hopefully you'll have a better idea after seeing the doc and with any luck it's nothing major that a bit of icing can't sort out.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

support