Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Strange request how do you get medical notes from the NHS to go private?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
This may seem a little odd but in 9 months I have had a scan of my hip, which by all accounts is within the bands of acceptability.  I was refered with knee swelling and pain and squinting pattellea.  I am not getting very far very fast and am now scheduled once more to see the consultant in 5 months time but the last time he has not been in clinic and the previous appointment was cancelled.  I have previously been treated privately as a self pay.  I am wondering how easy it would be to request my hip scan and notes from the NHS to give to the private consultant?
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: Strange request how do you get medical notes from the NHS to go private?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 09:07:32 AM »
I don't think it would be that difficult at all. The only problem you might have is how long it takes them to send the notes. Have you tried asking them?
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:51:54 AM »
I'm not sure whether the NHS will release notes directly to you as it's their property.  However, your consultant's staff is likely to acquire the notes or a suitable substitute on your behalf.

Good luck!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 09:40:31 PM »
Dont worry, your consultant will request them, or copies of them from the NHS to be sent to the private hospital for as soon as you need them there.
I got myself copies of all my notes for my own interest.  The complete file cost me 50 including copies of the MRI and x-rays films but they took about 4 months to do them, but thats not neccesary for private treatment.

Good luck,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline kiki88

• Regular Poster
  • Slow and steady gets the cake
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 11:20:10 PM »
you're entitled to any records made by the NHS in respect of yourself ie. notes, scans, test results etc. under the data protection act and the maximum they can charge you is fifty pounds for complying with your request.  Technically speaking, they have forty working days in which to deal with your request but often it does take longer.

Good luck.

kiki
ACL Recon (hamstring) 4 April 2005
Arthroscope on 14 October 2005.  Revealed cyclops lesion, screw in incorrect position, graft too vertical, ruptured graft.  Hardware removed, bone graft to patch up tunnel and screw holes.  Currently waiting for bone to heal before undergoing 2nd ACL in 2006.

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 06:03:31 PM »
Thank you all,

I have been waiting since July 2004 for some idea as to what could / could not be done to reduce the pain and assist me in everyday activities.  Unfortunately at my last appointment the consultant was not in clinic and now I have just been given a new appointment - six months on!!!  With your helpful comments I can now try and get things moving through a private appointment.  Excuse the vent - again.  I feel so disappointed and let down - all I need is a decision from the consultant who has previously seen the problem (squinting pattellea) and looked at the scans (Knee and now hip) I can understand the reluctance to undertake such an operation as there are no known confirmed results, apparently of how effective a derotational tibial osteotomy is at relieving the symptoms of miserable realignment but if the decision is no I am not a candidate to operate on I can start to make some real career and personal decisions for myself.  What I cannot stand is the light of some hope, which as you get nearer is infact an on coming train at speed!  I suspect some others may well have been in this position before and I have every empathy with you.

Jak - cheesed off
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 07:35:27 PM »
hi jak,
your situation sounds much the same as mine only mine has been going on with the nhs for almost 4 years now.  So far in that 4 years i've had 2 mri's of my knees, 5 consultant appts. and am now waiting for an mri of my hips! not to mention months of physio.  No real treatment plan yet either. just that i will probably be requiring osteotomys to correct my malalignment.  I'd go private if i could afford it - the frustration factor is immense with the nhs!  You lose hope that it will ever get sorted.
belle x
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 08:31:58 PM »
Thank you Belle,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been waiting 4 years - I don't know how you have coped (you are not in the Midlands are you?).  Thank you for sharing that with me (I now realise that July 2004 is nothing -I am but a young novice on this journey).  I really hope that you get some good news soon. 

I can't afford it either but I have no choice in that I have an active job and need to get this sorted as quickly as possible one way or another.  Please IM if you want to - prehaps we can help eachother along!