Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any advice??  (Read 1188 times)

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • Website
any advice??
« on: September 17, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »
I went up for a spike on Wed. in practice and came down with my leg straight and my knee hyperextended. I also twisted my ankle which isn't uncommon for me cause I have a bad ankle. Anywasy this was on my knee that I had surgery on not too long ago. I had my brace on when it happened and my ankle was taped and everything.

When it happened I just fell on the floor and my coach came and helped me get up and hop over to the lcoker room. He looked at it and one of the guys who tapes stuf and is an EMT looked at it. They didnt seem to think that I did anything to it really. I have some scar tissue below my knee cap that might;ve broken up as Im hearing alot more popping noises now. Does anyone know what I might have done if anything. I know I should probably call my OS about it, but then he'll just want to see me and he's 3 hrs away. My dad's going to Washington DC for a week and a half so there's really no one to take me. I has gotton better pain wise and doesn't really hurt too much now. Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks alot!!

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: any advice??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi Morgan! I haven't had the same knee problems you've had, but mine started when I was 14 (I'm 33 now).  I pretty much ignored the injuries that happened to my knees (I had recurrent patella dislocations) so I could continue with my activities.

I really wish I hadn't, because I now have severe arthritis in both my knees (because of the repeated trauma) and am in pretty much constant pain. I encourage you to at least call my OS (if you have a good one that you trust) and let him know what happened and that your coach and trainer don't think anything is wrong, but you just wanted to check with him because of your recent problems. Maybe he won't want to see you!

Take care of that knee!! :)

Pam

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 03:30:50 PM »
 Pam!! I just feel like tha tif I call my OS he's going to tell me to stop playing volleyball. I just got the Ok to play about 2 weeks ago and I am so happy to be back to it that I dont wanna be away from it. I took practice off the rest of Thurs and Fri and then this weekend I didn't go to the tourney. I am hoping that its better by Mon. so I can practice and then play in the games on Tues. My dads all against me calling him, he insists that it's just fine and that It's just going to hurt because st it's not used to it. Well I think that's just because he's going outta town and doesn't wanna deal with it. It just worries me because I had a teamate who tore her ACL this way at the begining of Aug. It was only a partial and she siad she didnt really feel much pain at all. Guess i shouldn't really be all that worried about it. Thanks for your reply. How have you been doing since your LR??

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »
Morgan, maybe rest and ice is all you need.
If your coach and the other guy looked at it and don't think you did anything to it, I'm sure you are doing ok.
But please listen to yourself and take some more days off or leave the plan if you feel more pain while playing.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 04:05:29 PM »
Hi Morgan,
   Like Pam, I have suffered with recurrent dislocations since the age of 8.  I ignored them and dealt with them because I didn't want to not be able to play my sports.  By my mid 20's I needed bilateral TKRs and have been dealing with the severe OA until I am "old enough".  It is not worth risking a lifetime of healthy knees to not miss a few volleyball games!  I really wish I had done things differently when I was your age.  Now, that being said, I think there is a good chance that you haven't done anything serious to the knee.  Is the knee swelling?  Any increase in swelling could account for the popping noises, as could scar tissue.  Take it easy, listen to your knee and if it doesn't get better, a trip to your OS may be in order.  If the knee doesn't feel right or is painful, don't play.

Take care,
Pattty

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 05:20:06 PM »
Hi Morgan,

That's a tough call. Do you have any (or an increase) in swelling? Any bruising? Is the pain gradually getting better each day, or has it kind of leveled off since the injury?

I would assume you probably just strained it, seeing how you had surgery on it a couple months ago and all. Are you still going to PT? Maybe you could call/go talk to your PT about it.

I have to agree with everyone else, though. It can't hurt to call your OS. If it is truly getting better each day, he might not want to see you until your next appointment. Or, maybe he could call your PT or something.

Hope it feels better. Good luck!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 09:51:30 PM »
Oh, Morgan! I didn't realize that you only got the OK to play 2 weeks ago. I completely understand why you are afraid that he'll tell you not to play... I also am aware that volleyball is very important to you. I still think you should call, though. Like Patty, I think even if you have to miss a few games/practices... it's better than what might happen if you do further damage.

We must seem hopelessly old to you, but hindsight is 20/20!!

Pam

(Oh yeah, I'm doing fine post LR. I still have issues, but I don't think any stem directly from the LR. :) )

support