Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: gluacosamine suplhate  (Read 1720 times)

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
gluacosamine suplhate
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:34:23 PM »
Has anyone tried it, good or bad? I read a site that says 1500mg is recommended daily dose, good for cartilage problems?

Jane  ;D
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

Offline swikle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Being crazy helps.
Re: gluacosamine suplhate
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:44:44 PM »
Jane:  I'm taking 1500 mg of Glusoamine/Chonroitine/MSM combo per day.  I've been on this for about two weeks. I'll let you know my results (or lack of) when it kicks in.  I think it takes about a month or so.
Sandy
Arthroscopy -May 6 2005-
Severe arthritis right knee.
Partial meniscotomy, bone spur removal-patella.
--OUCH--

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:28:13 PM »
I'm a strong believer in Glucosamine/Chron. w/ MSM.  I've been taking it for several years, even before my knee problems.  It must be working, cuz my OS says that in spite of the 5 surgeries the inside of my knee joint is in really good shape.  I'm one of the few arthrofibrosis sufferers that have made a near full recovery and have returned to all my former athletic activities.

Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi,

I also take glucosamine chondroitin plus MSM on a daily basis.  I have been taking it for almost six months now at the recommendation of my OS.  She told me to take it after I had microfracture surgery which deals with problems with the articular cartilage.   I'm not sure if it has aided in the healing process after my surgery or not.  I also have problems with my "good" knee and about four months into taking the glucosamine my "good" knee started feeling better.  Not all the way better, but much better.  I'm not sure if the glucosamine had a direct impact on that or if the pain decreased b/c I was no longer using my "good" knee to compensate for my bad knee.  I have heard that if you decide to take it, you should make sure you purchase the pills that have MSM in it.  It is supposed to help your body break it all down. 

Casey    :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:42:10 PM »
I'm one of the ones who noticed no difference in taking the supplements.  Some people swear by them and it's always worth a try!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

ariel

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Has anyone tried it, good or bad? I read a site that says 1500mg is recommended daily dose, good for cartilage problems?

Jane  ;D

As I understand it, there's a small amount of evidence that suggests that up to 20 % of people taking 1500 mg of Glucosamine a day for Knee OA have found some benefit from it (from a review of a collection of studies) - however, the implication seems to be that around 80 % of people  didn't find any significant benefit from taking it (in the studies reviewed so far) - so, regards Knee osteoarthrits, you might be in the "lucky" 20% or the "unlucky" 80 %, and of course, you won't know in advance which "category" "you're in" - so, it might be worth a trial run with it to see if it helps, but don't build you're hopes up too much.

Studies are ongoing of course and our understanding is likely to improve over the next 5-10 years.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:15:01 PM by ariel »

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »
I'm hoping that I'm not in the percentage that it benefits as it doesn't agree with me at all (too much time in the bathroom...) so I couldn't really work out if they did me any good. I do take cod liver oil every day though and I do notice if I haven't taken them for a few days.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 11:17:43 AM »
I've taken joint supplements of one sort or another for a number of years, from shark cartilage to hylauronic acid/msm & now something new on the market made with chicken collagen & glucosamine w/MSM.

I think it's worth trying them to see if something will give you greater comfort but I can't honestly say how much they're doing. The proof of the pudding is that in my mid sixties, I can still do just about everything I want to do w/o feeling the strain is too great. Given the extent of damage to my knee, I'm satisfied that supplements are doing something good for me.

If one doesn't seem to be doing the job after an honest try, there are so many more out there. Somewhere on the internet I know there's the results of study as to which glucosamine supplements are worth buying & which are not. Wish I could remember where it is. Might be worth some Google time to find it...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »
Wow, thanks for all your replies. I have bought some and have started taking them... I used to be a national squad cyclist before all this knee trouble, i know i will never ever get back to that level again (and prob wouldnt want to) but i would love to be able to ride my bike once and while without suffering..
Regards
Jane
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

Offline swikle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Being crazy helps.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 01:52:01 PM »
Charlie, take the supplements with food, it cuts down on the stomach upset.
Sandy
Arthroscopy -May 6 2005-
Severe arthritis right knee.
Partial meniscotomy, bone spur removal-patella.
--OUCH--

support