Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: osteoarthritis  (Read 1252 times)

Offline kas40

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
osteoarthritis
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »
Hi, New to the board and would like some advice or help if poss ? For 4 months I had been in severe pain and found it difficult to walk without throwing my leg right out. I have recently undergone an arthroscopy for what I and everyone else thought was going to be meniscus troubles, however after the operation the result was nothing wrong with the meniscus and it was just a washout with grade 2 osteoarthritis. Whilst I was happy with the results it left me concerned that nothing had been done and my pain would remain. Three weeks post op and my fears seem to have come true as I am in exactly the same position if not slightly worse than I was before. Can anyone please inform me if my condition is likely to improve as I have been off work for four months and am becoming anxious when/if I wll return, I am employed as  PE instructor in the prison service. The job is obviously physically demanding and I am unable to carry out many of the tasks including the protection of myself and others. Is a career change on the cards as I am not getting any younger(40) and need to get it sorted out asap. I am going to see the OS in three weeks time, what questions do you think would be helpful to me? Is grade two arthritis really that bad?
Kas 40.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: osteoarthritis
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:48:23 PM »
Ask your OS if the damage is to all compartments, or if it is actually focal lesions (these are basically potholes in the articular cartilage).  Focal lesions have different repair options.  Ask if the damage is all the way down to the bone.

As to the grade, I've recently seen a couple of people offer up grades of arthritis.  Previously I've only seen grades for chondromalacia, which is considered "pre-arthritis" or softening of the cartilage.  When the cartilage is worn away all the way down to the bone, it's considered grade 4.  Grade 3 is when the cartilage is wearing away and there are loose fronds of cartilage around the damage, so that it looks like crab meat.  I don't remember the specifications for grade 1 and 2, but they are milder.  But again, I don't know if it's the same scale that your doctor is using.

One of the unfortunate realities of ccartilage damage - the size of the damage, and the depth or grade, don't seem to have much correlation to pain.  Some people are in agony from smaller areas of damage that don't go to bone.  Other people live with bone on bone arthritis throughout the entire joint for years, making only minor modifications in their daily lives.  So regardless of the actually size or grade of your damage, your pain is the more accurate measure of your medical needs.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline kas40

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:02:52 PM »
Jess, thanks for your reply, the condition is said to be onthe medial aspect of the knee but the pain is all over the place...Thanks once again. Kas 40

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »
If the damage is isolated to the medial compartment, you may benefit from a brace.  There is a very expensive brace (often covered by insurance) called an unloader brace.  I've never used one, but it looks like a big contraption, and takes some getting used to.  But it shifts the weight so that the medial copartment carries less weight and the lateral compartment carries more, often reducing pain for patients.  You may want to ask about it.  It may not be a long-term solution for you, but may get you back to work and allow you to select a new career and train for it, so that as the arthritis progresses you're ready to make a change.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline kas40

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 08:26:10 PM »
Sorry to be a pain, has anyone else got any advice. Thanks  Kas40

Offline evshaw3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 08:45:40 PM »
Kas 40

I had artho sugery in Mar. thinking I had medial miniscus tear since that is where my pain was. It is now Sep. and I still hurt if not worse. The OS says Im "on fire" according to my recent bone scan, meaning calcium buildup under and around joint after surgery, Im beggining to think this is B.S.. There was a thin layer of brightness in the radio pics that ran from the medial plataue around and under the petella, which made sense to me cause that was where it hurt! I will tell you that before surgery it only hurt at the medial plataue when you pushed on the bone it would make me want to pass out. It has been 3 trips to the OS since surgery and first he thought stress fracture until bone scan seemed to prove otherwise? I wish you and I could get it straight and move on. Id bet that my problem is early ostoarthritis

Ev

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »
Hi,

I also have OA and mine is behind my patella.  Here is an article that I think is very informative about this condition.  Hope that it will help some.

http://www.arc.org.uk/about_arth/booklets/6027/6027.htm

Shade