Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI of Knee distorted b/c of foreign metal object....any suggestions??  (Read 2142 times)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I had an MRI done of my knee back in 2001.  I have never had an injury but have problems when i exercise (particularly run, elliptical, and biking).  I had a very small piece of metal just under the skin above my kneecap.  Because of this, the image was distorted. 
1.)  Is there another type of image i can get (CT scan?) that will not be affected by the metal?
     If so... will the CT scan be as good?  (they seem to be using MRI as first choice)
2.)  Do you guys know of any way that this foreign piece of metal can be removed?
3.)  My OS was pretty rude and dismissed this when i told him of the metal in my knee and said that the new MRI's are more
     advanced and the metal wouldn't affect it.  Is this true---sounds like a lie to me.

Thanks,

Brandon
Atlanta GA
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRI of Knee distorted b/c of foreign metal object....any suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »
Hi Brandon,
   Have you had the knee xrayed?  Does the metal show up on xray?  Is it just under the skin and not imbedded in the bone?  If it is just under the skin it should be fairly simple to remove it.  I recently had an MRI on my knee, which has 2 titanium screws in it from previous surgeries, and even though they aren't magnetic and aren't a problem that way, it still distorted the MRI images.  And this MRI was supposedly the latest and greatest!  Good luck getting things taken care of.

Patty

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
Re: MRI of Knee distorted b/c of foreign metal object....any suggestions??
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 07:21:47 PM »
Yes---it has been x-rayed and it does show up on the x-ray---it's very small though---you wouldn't notice it without knowing it was there from the MRI.   It is just under the skin. 
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG