Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Still limping  (Read 2178 times)

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Still limping
« on: September 13, 2005, 09:24:28 PM »
So i have decided that recently i have made the meniscus tear worse, as it is 5 days since it started feeling worse and it hasnt yet started feeling better, so still in more pain than normally. my op will be sometime in the next 5 weeks but i don't want to be limping around for that long as it is already putting more strain on my left knee.

a couple of people have suggested crutches and i could borrow some off my friend (she broke her toe, but is better now) but my mum doesnt see the point. does anyone have any ideas to coaxing her round to the idea of it? Grateful for any ideas, mums are difficult to deal with sometimes!!

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Still limping
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:36:15 PM »
Oh dear! I can't understand why your mom would be against you using crutches if there is a chance they would help you get around and ease your pain.
What would she do if you just came home with your friends crutches and said "I know you don't really see the point, but since my friend had these and didn't need them anymore, I thought I'd give them a try to see if they would help."

Has she forbidden you to borrow them?

Pam

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:41:10 PM »
not forbidden as such, but shes the kind of mum that you wouldn't like to go against! i suppose i could always try it. its really wierd though, sometimes she isn't sympathetic at all, (which isn't too bad cause i know no one really understands what i going through except me) but other times shes doing stuff for me and getting things from upstairs and giving me lifts everywhere.
thanks for the idea though, its worth a try!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
Csangel, can be so that she worries that you will looose to much of musclemass in the injured leg and there for have a slower recovery. maybe calling your doc and ask for advice would be the best, and if it's ok with your doc she can't say anything about it. Maybe if you use these crutches you still ccan try walk on the injured leg and use them as support only.I'm a mom of 2, one 11 and one 16 and I can't see the point why you can't use them.
Wish you best of luck !! hope you soon have a surgery date.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:22:31 PM »
Well i rang up my friend yesterday and she brought the crutches round. i have been using them at school and it really helped. it was the first time in weeks i havent come home with my knee throbbing. its still very painful but if i can do the same tomorrow then rest it over the weekend it may be less painful?!

thank you so much for all the advice. i'll post a new topic when i get my op date so you can see it and not have to keep coming back to this thread. thanks again.  :)   :)

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 08:24:41 PM »
I'm glad they helped, at least a little! :) I hope your OP date is soon, so you can get some "real" relief!

Pam

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:12:09 AM »
Great that you could lend them. Hope you're having surgery soon.
Wish you the best !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:49:43 AM »
So i have decided that recently i have made the meniscus tear worse, as it is 5 days since it started feeling worse and it hasnt yet started feeling better, so still in more pain than normally. my op will be sometime in the next 5 weeks but i don't want to be limping around for that long as it is already putting more strain on my left knee.

a couple of people have suggested crutches and i could borrow some off my friend (she broke her toe, but is better now) but my mum doesnt see the point. does anyone have any ideas to coaxing her round to the idea of it? Grateful for any ideas, mums are difficult to deal with sometimes!!

If it's causing you pain then I would strongly suggest ice. Constantly. It doesn't have to be some fancy super duper gel rubbish either. A bag of frozen peas or some ice in a plastic bag is all you need.

Everytime you sit down to watch tv or read a book, have an Ice pack on it. You'll get really annoyed with it after awhile but you said it throbs, and that sounds like it's swollen. The ice will get rid of that and who knows, maybe it'll stop being so painful.

You should ice it roughly 20-30 minutes every hour or so. Obviously no one has the time to keep doing that all day long, so just when you get home chuck the pack on for an hour, and then do it again later that night.

If that doesn't help much, then I'd say you'll just have to bite the bullet and cop it. Look at buying some Nurofen or an anti-inflamatry. Just simple over the counter stuff should be OK.

Good luck.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:56:28 PM »
Thanks you guys. i tried the ice and it helped a bit, but my boyfriend didn't really think it was swollen (hes with the red cross) so i've been using heat on it. i think it might slowly be getting better, it felt better this morning after two days on those crutches. I'm hoping that it will get back to "normal" (as in how it was at the beginning of the week) but its never normally this long after agrivating it.

keep your fingers crossed that my op date will come up soon! thanks!

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 03:02:38 PM »
Hope that it contiues to get back to where it was earlier. Hope that you get your op date!!

morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks you guys. i tried the ice and it helped a bit, but my boyfriend didn't really think it was swollen (hes with the red cross) so i've been using heat on it. i think it might slowly be getting better, it felt better this morning after two days on those crutches. I'm hoping that it will get back to "normal" (as in how it was at the beginning of the week) but its never normally this long after agrivating it.

keep your fingers crossed that my op date will come up soon! thanks!

I would stick with the ice, regardless of whether or not it's swollen. I don't think heat is the answer but if it works, then good luck.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 02:08:08 PM »
Its slowly getting better! definately a decrease in the limping around the house side of things and i'n putting more weight on it round school with the crutches.

bit more advice needed if pos though. i'm still having problems with my mum. i cant get a lift home tomorrow and cant get lifts either way on weds and thurs. i have to walk 1 1/2 miles one way and 1 1/2 miles back. i don't want to suddenly start walking on my knee, coz even though it feels a lot better than it was i don't want to ruin 5 days of rest. my mum is worried i will hurt my arms if i go that far on crutches so just wondered if anyonehad any advice whether to use just one or if anyones managed that sort of distance?

thanx
Lucy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 02:17:38 PM »
Maybe you should go for sick release and try study at home or hear if school in some way can help you to get to school.
Also try call and see when you can get a date for surgery and tell them how bad things are.
Good luck to you !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 12:25:51 AM »
Lucy, I agree with what Nettan said. Or maybe do you have some friends or family or anyone that could give you a ride maybe?? Just a thought. Maybe  you should call and ask them about your surgery and tell them about the pain.

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »
The worst you're likely to get is blisters and sore arms from using muscles that aren't used to it. I've done 2 miles mostly uphill and I knew I'd done it but it didn't do any harm. If you're pwb it might help you to keep your quads working so they don't atrophy :)
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

support