Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Loose Bodies in knee  (Read 2126 times)

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose Bodies in knee
« on: September 13, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »
Hey. I've posted before about my lateral release (08/16/05), and the attempt to remove this rather large loose body in my left knee. (It's about nickel sized, but thicker) For some reason, my OS couldn't FIND it when he did my arthroscopy. It floats around from the front to back, side to side, and sometimes I don't notice it for a week or so. But sometimes it gets stuck in the side of my knee joint and I can't move my knee at all and it's really painful. Sometimes I can push it around (and away from the painful part) but sometimes it's just stuck. (It did show up on x-ray, so at least he knows I'm not imagining it!)

I was hoping that he got it out, but just didn't notice (I realize that was foolish, but hope springs...) but just a few days ago it popped back out and now has been causing me a lot more pain and trouble. I see my OS again this Friday (for my 4 week follow up) and I don't want to seem silly for mentioning this, but it's really irritating me. Why do you suppose he couldn't FIND it? I'm starting to feel like this darn loose body has a mind of it's own! I don't want to have surgery again, but I don't want to have this thing in my knee forever, either!

Has anyone else had a stubborn loose body.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Loose Bodies in knee
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
Have you done x-rays again after surgery to see how it looks now ?
Maybe a good idea. Are there maybe any possiblities if you do a new surgery to take x-rays while you are in surgery room and find the piece ? Just some thoughts, sound odd he didn't find a big piece like that one.
I had my hoffas shaved some years ago as it attempted get swollen and interfere between the surfaces. Has this been checked so there's nothing else going on there ?
Wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't have.
Good luck to you !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:35:19 PM »
I have dealt with a lot of loose bodies, including one very large one.  I put up with the large loose body for months.  When it would pop out on either side of the joint it was incredibly painful, but I would just move it to a more comfortable postition.  Every time I wanted to move my leg, I would have to locate the loose body and move it to a certain area.  The first Dr (GP) that I saw didn't believe that I had a loose body and of course it didn't "appear" for him.  Went to an OS, he could tell by looking at my knees that they had more problems than just a loose body.  Luckily the OS found and removed the loose body and numerous others during the surgery.  The OS was amazed at how large the loose body was and was showing everyone.   :P  Unfortunately, there are areas in the knee that are difficult to see during arthroscopy and your loose body could have hidden there during the surgery!  About the only option you have is another arthroscopy if you want to get rid of your little friend!  Good luck!

Patty

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 06:43:50 PM »
Thanks guys.  Patty, I had to LOLwhen you called it my "little friend"... it sounds like you have had a time of with yours too. (My GP didn't beleive me, either!)  You know, I first went to the OS because of the loose body, and the same thing happened to me... he could tell I had a lot more going on than just the loose body!
But (regardless of that) I really did (and DO) want it gone. But I don't want to do through another surgery if he can't find it then either.  Maybe an x ray during surgery IS a good idea-- but can they always be seen? Mine was right on the lateral side of the joint when I had the x-ray last time. It rarely cooperates like that!

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 07:03:14 PM »
I put up with that loose body for so long I actually named him (it had to be a him as it was so bothersome!  ;D) (whoops I hope you aren't a him, if so, no offense intended!)  and my friends asked how he was doing all the time.  Luckily for me, my little friend wasn't as good at playing Hide n Go Seek as yours is!  Or my OS is a better seeker than yours!  I know that my OS chased "Alvin" all over the place trying to get him out of my knee.  Talk to your OS about xraying during surgery to help him locate the little bugger.  I would think they would have to xray during surgery as the fluid they pump into the joint during arthroscopy could cause the little guy to float about!

Best of Luck!

Patty

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:33:11 PM »
HA! I haven't named mine... yet. And I'm not a guy, but if I were, I don't think I'd be offended anyway!  :) My sister asks me how my "knee thing" is doing whenever I see her. Thanks for the advice and the laugh!

Pam

support