Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cartilage graft  (Read 812 times)

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cartilage graft
« on: September 13, 2005, 03:52:30 PM »
Hi, i am wondering if anyone has had a cartliage graft? i had a fulkersons a week ago, they said my cartilage was badly damaged so they took out some cartliage and are sending it abraod to denmark i think? to grow some me some new cartilage. has anyone else had this done? what does it involve?
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: cartilage graft
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:15:06 PM »
It sounds like ACI to me.  Check under the arthritis section, and you will find an entire board dedicated to ACI (autologous chondrocyte implantation).  Since you're in Europe, you may actually be able to get the next generation, known as MACI.  These are the only procedures I know of where they biopsy your cartilage and send it to a lab to grow new cells.  Cartilage plug transfer, aka OATS takes a plug of cartilage from a non-weight bearing portion of your knee or from a cadaver to fill the hole.  There's a board on that too.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)