Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I Stop Running?  (Read 680 times)

Offline no_bad_day

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I Stop Running?
« on: September 13, 2005, 01:52:51 AM »
I'm a long distance runner I run Cross Country and Track year round and have been for the past 4 years; i've had knee problems in the past but nothing serious just some swollen ligaments, but now my knee is starting to hurt a lot more

In my left knee i'm having alot of pain in and around my knee cap, for the most part it's a kind constant dull nagging pain, and there's several times a day when i get a sharp pain in my knee cap, it's painful to keep it straight long periods of time, as well as standing and just walking for along time, it hurts to press on my knee cap and it clicks when you do press on it. I hurts to put any kind of pressure on it even when putting a bag of ice on it hurts

I'm planning on getting it checked out soon,
does any one know what could be wrong, and do you think it's safe to continue running in the mean time? I Love Running, and it my Senior, my last year to run on a team (i love being part of a team) because i know i won't be on a team in college but i would hate to have to end up having surgry this year

Caitie
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 03:10:17 AM by no_bad_day »

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Should I Stop Running?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 05:37:48 AM »

Caitie, if it hurts to touch it ,doesn't it hurt to run as well?  You might have a cartilage issue there. I would get in sooner than soon and have it checked out.
If it hurts to run , don't do it till you go in. keep icing it and elevate it. Rest it too !!
Running can be an addiction no doubt about that. I've had friends who ran 26 mile marathons that said it was. So I can understand your angst.

Hope you can finish out your year. But not without getting it looked at. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

support