Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn Meniscus.....now not hurting-should I still have the surgery.  (Read 5444 times)

Offline RobinH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn Meniscus.....now not hurting-should I still have the surgery.
« on: September 13, 2005, 01:51:10 AM »
My knee started hurting last April-not really one event that caused this but after going back and forth to my OP and having an MRI last July-it showed my menisus was torn and the Dr said I need surgery and that it wouldn't get better. So surgery is scheduled for 9-26-I am terrified never had surgery --big 49 year old Chicken....anyway.... The last week any pain I had is gone so I am wondering if I should put it off? If I can do everything I normally do w/o-then why have the surgery?

-if I do not have it will I hurt the health of my knee in the long run?
-and if they just trim-won't there be pain anyway since it is bone on bone then?
-lastly-if it is not general anesthia-do they still put a tube down my throat?
-I can't believe there is a group for this-but i am so happy you are all here-
Thanks
Robin

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
Re: Torn Meniscus.....now not hurting-should I still have the surgery.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 04:19:27 AM »
I dunno what to tell you about having the surgery that is a tuff call. It wasn't really a choice for me, I was in so much pain that the surgery was a blessing.:P

-I dont think it will hurt your knee in the long run. My knee feels better than it did before I ever hurt it. It actually feels better than my "good" knee.

-It depends on how much they trim. My trim wasn't down to the bone and they drill holes in the space that they took it out of and it forms scar tissue right there.

-I dunno about that eather. I had general and got the tube thing. Some people on here have had others and like to watch whats going on. I wish I could've.

Hope this helps you out a little bit. If you wanna know anything else just post or PM me and I would gladly answer anything for ya. I am 2 months post op as of Sept. 6th and I am back to playing volleyball and doing everything that I used to do. Except those hurdles (thats how it happened in the first place) the only time I have pain is when I overdo it and alls I have to do is just ice it and it feels just fine. Good luck.

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:52:57 AM »
Hi Robin, did your OS say where your tear is located and what type. Did you ever have any locking or catching with it? If not and you are able to do what you normally do then you might not have to go through with the surgery.

My OS told me my tear was small but it's location was as such that it could continue to tear and would have to have more taken out later.
I had pain with mine all the time though so I had it done.

You wouldn't have a tube put in your throat unless it is under General Anesthetic. Most likely it would be a spinal that you would have. If you are a chicken like you say. I would suggest having the General, so you aren't awake for it. I wouldn't want to hear what is going on. I was told also to stop taking aspirin a week before surgery and Vitamin E . which I did. But it wasn't soon enough and I was told I bled a lot and had a tournaquet applied. I was glad I wasn't awake for that !!
 So if you are taking either make sure you tell your OS and see what they say.
The surgery is the easy part. It's the rehab and recovery that you have to work at that is the hard part. Good luck , Ron

partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline pleasenofatgut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »
Howdy Robin, I'm an operating theatre nurse and have had a couple of knee surgery's including an acl reconstruction and in regards to having the operation at your age there are two ways to look at it. You are, I assume, not playing high impact sport and therefore if your not experiencing pain, the orthopaedic surgeons I work with will not recommend having an arthroscopy and meniscectomy unless you are having pain.
As far as bone on bone is concerned, you still have articular cartilage that covers the ends of your bones that would also help in preventing arthritis. As you get older this articular cartilage does become weaker as everything else does, so when it does wear away you will get arthritis. The risk of this however is reduced when you are less active in regard to high impact sports. If you do decide to have a meniscectomy then you also must remember as mentioned by other members that it does matter where the tear is and that by ignoring the problem may make it worse.
My advice is that you've done well to get to your age without having knee problems so such minor surgery will only be a positive. If you get part of this cartilage breaking off and floating in your knee joint you could start getting locking of your joint, and then to wait for the surgery for whatever time period it is could be very difficult. When they trim the cartilage they dont generally remove the meniscus completely, most commonly the meniscus is only trimmed as much as is needed which still maintains good cushioning of the joint.
In regards to a tube down the throat, in Australia where I'm from arthroscopies are done under a general anaesthetic. Generally the general is a spontaneous ventilation general anaesthetic (SVGA) where you breath for yourself but a tube called a larangeal mask sits above the epiglottis as apposed to a relaxant GA where you have a tube right down past the vocal cords. With the relaxant you are paralysed and a ventilator breaths for you but a SVGA you breath yourself without and relaxation. I would explore these options and even contact your hospital to find out what will be used if you are so concerned.
I would personally get this arthroscopy done and get on with your life. Its easy, generally painless and generally you'll be back to normal within two weeks.
Good luck, Chris. :)

Offline RobinH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:06:09 PM »
I don't know where the tear is on my menicus and I have had no locking.  This morning I went for a 1.5 mile walk for the first time since this happened -I felt fine and still do......????
No high impact sports-i walk and lift weight normally three times a week .

thanks for helping me-still pretty confused.
Robin

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
Hi Robin ~ I have a torn medial meniscus (within the posterior horn that reaches the superior articular surface). It's consistent with tear as well as degnerative changes. I also have abnormal signal within the lateral meniscus. What it amounts to is that I have some discomfort or pain most of the time but nothing significant enough for me to seriously consider surgery. I've been told that if the menisci do become problematic, I can have them dealt with.

I like my OS's conservative approach because it's putting me in charge of what's going to be done or not. And at this point I can cope with what's happening within my knee...Ellie

April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline KellyC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 05:26:43 PM »
Hi Robin,

You're not getting much of a consensus are you?

My philosophy is to avoid surgery at all cost.  If I can't avoid it, I will try to avoid general anaesthesia.  That is very bad for the body.  Finally, I will do everything in my power to avoid, ever again, having that damn tube jammed down my throat.

So, my recommendation is to avoid the surgery unless your pain becomes unmanageable.  If you do have the surgery, get a spinal.  And, in your life, if you ever need surgury with the tube down the throat, insist before the surgury on meeting the nurse who will entabate(sp?) you.  Make sure she's not a rookie and she does have a gentle nature.  If you don't like her, insist on someone else.

I hope you can avoid the surgery.  Good luck.

Kelly

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 05:32:18 PM »
OK.  I'll play devil's advocate.  You  need to find out the location and type of tear.  In some cases, the tear in the meniscus can actually rub against the articular cartilage in a way that wears away the articular cartilage.  This means the tear of the mesniscus could actually cause arthritic degeneration.  I will remind you, not all tears carry this risk. 

So before you decide if the pain or your choice of activities require you to have surgery, you should also try looking 10 years down the road.  If ignoring it now causes problems from age 65-???? you may regret not taking care of it at 49.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline heymisterpj

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • it's just a flesh wound...
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 03:49:30 PM »
Hi Robin
I've torn both menisci in my left knee, I play soccer , sorry, played, been out of action for 7 months now, but fully intend to get bacjk in there. In the last 7 months I've had periods where I've felt that th knee was great, even went running with the dog, not advisable though :P used acupuncture to control the pain and swelling, but am under no illusions abou the op. I feel that if i get it sorted now I won't be regretting it 10 or 15 years down the line. I'm 41, but don't see why my age should stop me playing sports yet! There may be an argument for not operating, but you need to look at all the options, not just short term. Whatever you do , do it under the advice of experts(I'm not, I'm just a fellow traveller!)
and best of luck!

Offline momof4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 04:07:09 AM »
Well, I'll add my two-cents worth--from another fellow traveler--not an expert.

I was told my meniscus was torn & went in for theat "simple procedure"   The Doc was wrong & he did microfracture--with a whole different set of rules for recovery.

Like you, my pain was gone about a week before surgery & I toyed with the idea of canceling--I could run & do everything I had been doing, but my (well-meaning) family & friends wanted me to get it done & over with so I wouldn't risk further damage.

I don't know that I could have put it off inevitably, but I sure wish I had waited instead of rushing into the surgery.  I'm sure I would have to have something done later, but I WAS able to do most of my normal activities.  NOW, I'm hobbling through my days--but I hope that will get better since surgery was only a couple of weeks ago.

GOOD LUCK--It's a tough call.

Pamela

Offline LP32

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 04:53:06 AM »
Hi Robyn-

I'd recommend getting the book "What your doctor may not tell you about knee pain and surgery" by Ronald Grelsamer.  It is a very practical book that sounds like it's swayed towards no surgery, but I fee gives a balanced view of the options.  Based on this book and other research I've looked at, here's my non-doctor's 3 cents:

-  if it doesn't hurt, doesn't lock, and you are not actively involved in sports, consider not.
-  MRI's are not necessarily very good indicators of meniscus tears.
-  tears in the outer edges of the meniscus are more likely to heal on their own versus those in the middle because it has more blood supply- where was the tear?
-  if you decide to have the surgery, I'd recommend that the doctor not remove any meniscus, particularly if you are not having pain.  This was done in the past and can cause future problems.  He can stitch or smoothe the tear, but not take any part of the meniscus out.
-  there are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles around your knee, this will put less stress on the joint in general.  You can find them in the book or on the Web.     

Very tough call.  For me, it would depend upon the prognosis on the size of the tear and my pain level.  Either way you decide, I'm sure you'll be fine! 

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 04:59:24 AM »
Pamela, a couple weeks after surgery is not very long to heal up. I was in PT for almost 2 months , 7 weeks before I got off the crutches for a simple trim. My OS told me that it was going to take time to heal. Everybody is different. Try to be patient. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 03:23:41 AM »
I had knee pain a year ago after a running session.....tried everything but pain kept lingering and i just got my MRI results. On my right knee there is chondral erosion 9.9mm in weight bearing surface of medial femoral condyle. There is a flap tear of the medial meniscus posterior horn with sublaxation of the meniscus or extrusion into the coronary recess. there is also erosion of the articular cartilage.On left knee....flap tear of the medial meniscus posterior horn with horizontal morphology and corresponding saggital cross section. The gave me copies of the MRI and evaluation report.....said it is routine procedure done athroscopically so recovery will be minimal.....the do at least 3 surgeries of this type every week! After reading all the other posts i am getting a bit nervous....my first surgery! I used to have pain when going up and down stairs but it is a discomfort now....pain occurs when i crouch down and sit with my legs bent all the way underneath in a yoga position. I am told i should get one knee done now followed by 6-12 weeks of PT then do same with other knee....anyone out there get second opinions? advise? Thank you in advance!

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 06:23:24 AM »
slyguy, reading your report I think the LAST thing you should be doing is sitting in a yoga position like that! That has to be tough on those tears !!
It is good to hear that they do 3 of those surgeries a week .At least you know it isn't something they aren't familiar with.

You can always get a 2nd opinion if you are not comfortable with that diagnosis. It may ease your fears.

Please don't make it worse on yourself by doing anything more than normal walking and sitting for now. My OS told me when I had my tear it is like a piece of paper when you cut a little slit in it and you work it back and forth it will tear more. I waited a few more months till I got my work done so I could afford the surgery. It had torn a little more over that time. So take it easy for now. Ron
Age 56

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »
......I have heard that a repair of the meniscus is better in the long run compared to a menisectomy. Anyone experience repair? Do they repair the torn part and put back? The recovery on this is much more complicated and chances of leading to arthritis is much greater if not done properly?

support