Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: repairing torn meniscus  (Read 1091 times)

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
repairing torn meniscus
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:05:56 PM »
i was just thinking about my knee again, (as if i can get away from it!) and wondered if theres any way that you might know if the torn meniscus can be repaired, before the surgeon gets in there? my knee never locks up but collapses from under me occasionly and i have full ROM but cannot bear weight on a straight leg when it does this. it usually gets back to normal after 4 days of this. would be grateful for any advice or knowledge of this.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: repairing torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
In some cases, if you have a small tear in the outer edge of the meniscus, there is a chance it will "heal itself".  Most cases require surgical intervention.  Depending on the location, the surgeon will repair the tear if possible, and remove it if it cannot be repaired.  The repair is actually a more difficult recovery, but is better in the long-term.

It's normal to be afraid of surgery.  But it is also important to understand your knee.  Ignoring a tear in the meniscus can lead to further damage over time.  Search the boards, and you will find lists of questions others have asked their surgeons.  Then ask a lot of questions until you feel more comfortable with the procedure.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 05:22:41 PM »
I read your other posts and am a bit confused about your question. Are you asking if it can be repaired , as in healing itself before surgery? Or if it can be repaired due to the location of it . If it has a blood supply it is most likely repairable. Little to no blood supply like mine was , it had to be trimmed.

Sounds like yours is getting worse , not better over time. So your most likely going to need that surgery. Heed the instructions given you afterwards for recovery too. Sounds like you've suffered enough already . So it's best to get it fixed and get on with your life.
Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »
thanks for that. i've already been told to have an op and it should be any time between now and october the 24th. i was just wondering if you can tell if the surgeon can repair it in surgery, or if you have to wait till he sees it to know. the doc seemed to just say about trimming it but i've researched since then and wondered if he might trim it when he could fix it. would that cause problems later in life?  ???

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 05:37:46 PM »
Most likely they have to get in there to see if it can be repaired . MRI's aren't totally reliable so they need to get in there. A repair is most desirable for long term like Jess said. Anytime you have something taken out , the cushion is gone and  that area is bone on bone. And eventually it will start to turn to arthritis. However long it takes depends on the person.

That is why it is so important to get it taken care of sooner than later so you don't make the tear worse . Best wishes , Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

support