Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson's after patellar fracture  (Read 737 times)

Offline jillandtristan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson's after patellar fracture
« on: September 11, 2005, 09:19:37 PM »
My doctor is suggesting the Fulkerson's procedure and I'm not sure I want to go there. From what I gather, it's pretty major surgery.

In Feb. 2004, I was in a serious car accident and broke my patellar and tibial plateau. I was in peak physical condition and my doc said I'd be better in a few months. It's now MANY months and one surgery later and I'm not back to my old self. On a scale of 1-10, I'm at a 7 or so.

Last Sept. I had a scope and lateral release performed. They supposedly cleaned up all the "string cheese" but the grinds along with the crunchy noises it makes today is darn right painful. It feels like bone on bone, there's evidence of osteoarthritis as well as a minor meniscal tear. I can't do a leg extension, one of my major complaints. The knee is STILL swollen and not tracking well. The VMO muscle is still atrophied. Many movements for me are more than awkward at best.

My dilemma is this; I want to be able to run around and play with my son, and to chase him when he runs into the street (yes, this has happened and I PHYSICALLY CAN'T RUN). I'd love to be able to be as much into fitness as I used to be but those days may just be past. With many months of beneficial yoga behind me (I gave up physical therapy because it was too painful and not really helping), I am "sort of" pain free; pain free ONLY if I do minimal walking/physical activity. I can now manage my active 3year old by myself. Last year, this was impossible. Do I really want to enter surgery that will have me on crutches for several weeks and back into major therapy??  I'm trying to understand the procedure the best I can, the risks, etc.

support