Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newly blown knee.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline crash76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newly blown knee.
« on: September 11, 2005, 08:26:54 PM »
Just blew-out my right knee this past Monday (blown- out ACL, meniscus and cracked bone).  I am in an immobilization brace and on crutches.  My surgeon wants me to do re-hab for 3-6 weeks prior to surgery and has fitted me for an ACL brace (not received yet).  I cannot take much more of the couch, crutches and immobility.  When do you know that you can use your leg, in the immobilization brace, without crutches?  What are some things you can do to kill the boredome?  What level of activity can be expected pre and post surgery with or without a brace?  I am use to being very active (skiing, wakeboarding, running and biking) and am not good at being laid out.  Any advice is greatly welcomed!
Right Knee
Reconstructed ACL 10/5/05
Stitched up meniscus 10/5/05

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
Re: Newly blown knee.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:29:18 PM »
Hi Crash
That sounds similar to what I did this past July.   In my case, torn acl, 2 cracks in my tibial plateau, and meniscus damage.
I only wore the immobilizer for a rew days, and then at my doctors instruction, took it off and slowly worked on ROM so my knee didn't end up stiff.   HOWEVER, I was not to bear any weight on the leg for a little over a month, until the fractures healed.   This was determined by another round of x-rays.     Once that happened, I started walking with a cane, and learned that my knee was very unstable when any turning motion was attempted on the injured leg.  That's the acl loss.  I scheduled my surgery as soon as the fractures healed, and had to wait another 3 weeks to get in.  Did aggresive physical therapy during that 3 weeks under doctors supervision to build the quads and keep ROM.  I bought a stationary bike for that, and for several weeks after surgery when I'm ready for it again.    Tomorrow is the big day, and I have my surgery at 8am.  I'm having an allograft.   It has been a LONG summer, and I went through a whole gammet of emotional stuff as well as the pain and inconvenience.    I cried, got depressed, got mad, then decided I had work to do to get well.  It's a tough one, but you must be careful of the fractures or cracks.   They must heal first.   So sorry you are experiencing this, it is a drag.    I learned to take it one day at a time, be patient, be careful, and just get through it.     You will learn patience in this, sooner or later, but it is not the worst that can happen.  It is fixable.    Go to the best orthopedic surgeon you can find, after all it is your knee and your mobility, and deserves the best.  Do what the doc tells you, and that goes for the PT as well.  It is all important.
I still have months of physical therapy ahead, but the bottom line is, this too shall pass.   Friends and family help, and this message board helped me a lot.     Good luck!   
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:45:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury. Don't rush your recovery, you could set yourself back if you push it too hard but don't take it too easy either. Do as much as you are able to keep that knee moving (obviously once your allowed out of the immobiliser) and keep your muscles working as it can be really hard work gaining back muscle and rom once you've lost it. You'll get there in the end but you will have to be patient. Myself I'm hoping to impress my consultant on Friday with good rom and some muscle gain so he'll actually give me a date for my reconstruction. Why not try focusing on other aspects of your sports maybe coaching/psychology while you can't actually be taking an active part, there's lots of info you can read up on and who knows it might improve your training and performance when you get back on your feet.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 12:49:05 AM »
;)
Hello!Crash.
I know just how you feel. I got into a bike accident just over two weeks ago. I really feel for you. I had surgery right away had no choice. I am just now able to take stablizer off when leg resting striaght out on couch. I have had 2 Pt sessions already. I can not lift my leg cause of cut quads, so do as much exercise as can on those. I can stand and bend, but I do go nuts. I watch my friends all go out for rides and at first I did the pitty party, now it just gives me more ambission to be out there sooner. I to just found this site and has helped alot. I don't know  alot about your problem with your knee, but I know how it feels. I do now rotate from lying on good side to elevating the leg seems to break up the stiffnes. Hope you feel better soon Bikersmurf.
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline crash76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 04:01:37 AM »
Thank you all so much for replying.  It reallllllly helps to know that I'm not the only one stuck on a couch on a pretty day.  It was really starting to feel like it.  Although, I truly feel bad for anyone who has had to deal with this.

A2N- Good luck on the surgery tomorrow.  Let us know how it goes.  I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on all of the summer.  It helps to know that you were able to get somewhat mobile durring your pre-surgery re-hab.  I have really feared that I was going to have to be stuck on the couch or bed for the next few weeks and then even longer after the surgery.  How were you able to get over the boredom?  What sort of stationary bike did you find best?

Charliemouse- what sort of re-hab did they have you doing?  Does it really make that big of a difference in your ability to quickly recovery after the surgery?  What have you heard?  As for the coaching, that is one of the things I'm going to miss for now.  I coach 7-9 year old's soccer and really love getting out there with the kids.  I have started reading up on the whole knee stuff today, which is keeping me mentally active.  The only thing is that I am so wired from not being physically active that I can't relax.  I know I'm going to have to be patient, but that is not a strong suite of mine.

Bikesmurf- Where the cut quads from the accident or from surgery?  When they do the surgery, what causes the leg to need so much recovery?  I always thought therapy was mainly just for range of motion (ROM), but am just now finding out that you really have to strengthen the leg more than ROM.  What sort of bike accident did you have?
Right Knee

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:08:14 AM »
Hi Crash
My rehab was non existent initially as I was told it was an mcl sprain in a&e. It's only after an arthroscopy last week that I know the extent of my injury, as I was locked the drawer test didn't clearly demonstrate a crucuate rupture. The meniscus tear is fixed and the remains of the acl removed and I can now straighten my leg and I'm working on being able to keep it straight with extension exercises and a splint. I have my second physio appointment since the scope today and would like them to really push me as I really want the recon as soon as poss. Extension is the main concern so that is my main focus, I can get my knee flat on the floor but I don't have enough muscle strengh to lift it straight...yet. The quads help to keep the knee stable so the more strength you have in them when you go for the recon the better. Get your physio to check you are doing any exercises correctly so you get the best results for your efforts.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 01:30:59 PM »
Hey there
There are some pretty big injuries here!!  Hee hee.... makes my ACL Rupture feel quite small.... I had surgery last may.... still going trying to recover.... I had no problems getting back my ROM.... was there in 10 weeks, but the strengthening is the real problem for me.  My quad muscle left when the surgeon cut open my knee I reckon... I think it ceased the opportunity to escape after it realised how much work there was ahead of it hee hee.  (and it was a really small hole to escape through too!!)

I wanted to let you know that it is ok... Im in the same boat that you are.... I've just missed my first netball season in 21 years because of my knee injury.... and it killed me!  Im also very active and was driven mad from being stuck on the couch (day time TV here sucks!!).  But I have learned alot about myself through the process.  Some things I'd rather not know, like how impatient I am, and how quickly I cry if I cant do what I want my knee to do!!  But on the positive of all tht I have learnt how to be more patient and understand my knee and how it works.  I go through stages where I'd like to cut it off just below my hip, and then there are other days when I dont even think about it (those are few and far between but they mean that Im getting over the whole knee thing!!) so all in all I think that if you try to adopt a positive attitude, it makes the recovery a lot easier.  Expect that there will be days where you are just so sick of it you could cry, but know that there is an end point and that you will be back on your feet (so to speak) if you take your time and let your body heal. 

Also I have tried a few things that I wouldnt have done if I wasnt injured.  I coached an U15s netball side this year that was really rewarding ..... even if I frustrated the pants of myself because I couldnt "show" the kids what I wanted them to do.... they did really well, and it was really rewarding. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline crash76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:16:12 PM »
Hey folks,
Just made it through my 1st physical therapy session.  Let's just say, not fun.  I did get my new knee brace.  Anyone ever heard of a Townsend Rebel ACL brace?  Not to thrilled with it.  The supply guy ordered me a $1,200 USD brace that isn't made for water sports.  Um... don't think that will help too much with slalom skiing and wakeboarding (post-op of course). 
I did get some good news about rate of pre-op rehab.  They told me I have to be at 120 degrees before they'd release me to have surgery.  I got to 125 degrees after the ROM excersices. 
My leg strength is good, but after talking to the therapist i think I want to try to strengthen it as much as I can.  I go back next Monday after doing the exercises on my own to see how much progress I was able to make and then figure out if I'm ready to get cut on.
Luckily I got to make it to the office yesterday and today which GREATLY improved my boredome status.  However; I am not doing too good with being frustrated.  I hate not being able to go get a glass of water, drive myself or even carry a file to my assistant at work.  After it took me 10- 15 minutes to put a sock and shoe on this morning (with no sleep STILL!) I just about lost it.   I am normaly a very self sufficient upbeat person who takes care of everything and everybody else.  Coping is not easy.
I know it is only going to be worse after they cut.
Anyone know of some good books?
Seriousely though, any advice about the brace or pre-op rehab would be great.
Right Knee

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »
 :-*
Hey there!
I had a motorcycle accident. The Quads are cut from both. I shattered knee in over 6 peaces. surgeons had to cut quads to get a peace from lower thigh and shin, then cut them to put in wires. Mine was an open patella fracture, I hit a fence post with knee and part of wood went through knee and cut it open, thats why I had no choice but surgery. I went to OS today, it's all up to me now how long and how much pain I can stand until recovery. Going to PT in morning to get quads shocked to get them moving more. Lifting leg straight up is not happening yet. Bending no probelm, I can stand, but use walker. But hey atleast I am alive.  I never knew just how much the knees do until now. Yeah doing simple things like getting a drink is an adventure. Getting dressed takes atleast 20 mins now. I find myself doing more reading, tv and computer. friends come by, but no one really knows what is like to be trapped in your own body at times, If I could climp up in my truck I would drive, but with my luck I would get a DUI from the pain meds lol. B.S.
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!