Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Doctors Don't know, please help.  (Read 678 times)

Offline hma95

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Doctors Don't know, please help.
« on: September 10, 2005, 02:26:27 PM »
I posted about this in another section because at first what the doctors thought it might be, I posted in the appropriate section.  Sorry if this may get a little long.

About the fifth of August, I woke up one morning and my left knee was really swollen.  It had a lot of pressure, but not to much in along the lines of pain.  After I got my insurance straightened out, I went to the emergency room about 2 weeks later.

The E.R. doctor took x-rays and said I fractured my knee cap and looks like it was done a while ago because calcium deposits are forming in the fracture.  So he put me in an Immobilizer and crutches and told me to see an orthapedic surgeon.

About a week later, I saw the OS and he looked at my x-rays and said that the crack in my knee cap is not the problem.  The crack was formed from when I was growing, my knee cap started as 2 cells and fused together and left the crack.  Nothing else showed on the x-ray.  So he made an appointment for me to have an MRI.

A week later I saw him again to see the results of the MRI.  He looked them over with me and said he can't find anything.  He then took some fluid from my knee and also drew blood to check for infections, different kinds of arthritis and lymes disease.

This is where I am at right now.  I see the OS on Wed. next week to see the results of my test's.  I am in pain on the right side of my knee, kind of under the knee cap.  I know something is wrong because all this time my knee has been swollen and it can't just be nothing!! And the pain when I twist my leg or try to put my shoe on, it REALLY hurts.

The OS said I don't need the immobilizer anymore, but keep using the crutches for walking assistance. 

Now, this is the really weird part.  For the 3 weeks I was totally getting around on the crutches and only putting my weight on the right leg, I had no problems with my right leg at all.  Now that am I trying to walk around with both legs, my right ankle has been swollen for the last 3 days! It doesn't make any sense!

I am 28 years old, never had a problem with my knee before and have not had any injury to it that I can think of to cause what ever it is that is going on with my left knee.  I live in the USA.

I have NO idea what is going on and hoping that maybe someone will be able to help me figure out what this may be.  Any suggestions and help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you,

hma95

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Doctors Don't know, please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 02:32:30 PM »
It is probably best to wait and see what those blood tests show, but it could be that you have some sort of inflammatory arthritis.  Usually in that situation however, it is bilateral, meaning both knees would have swollen up. However, it is still possible. It's probably best to see what the OS thinks, and I hope you get some answers soon as I know how frustrating that can be.

Goodluck and keep up with the REST, ICE , Compression, Elevation

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline hma95

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 10:40:21 PM »
Hi linds,

I can't wait to get the results back!  I did call my OS office on Wed. night when my right ankle first swelled up, just to let them know.  She took a peek at what results they had back already and it was negative for any infections.  So I really don't think they will find anything from the blood and fluid they took.

I am just so very fustrated and I just couldn' BELIEVE it when he said nothing is showing up on the MRI! 

I'm also excited to hear what else he want's to do with me!  If he tells me I'm fine and just go home and rest again, I think I'm going to slap him!!  LOL

Thanks!

Hma95

Offline mom with bum knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »
I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who's considered slapping his/her OS!
Meniscus repair, left knee 2001
Meniscotomy, right knee 2003
Meniscus repair, left knee 2005

support