Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Alcohol and Ibuprofen/Painkillers?  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Alcohol and Ibuprofen/Painkillers?
« on: September 10, 2005, 06:49:31 AM »
My husband and I are planning a trip to Walden Pond tomorrow. I'm going stir-crazy, and I have to get out of this house! I'm going to rent out a wheelchair so I can really enjoy myself! It is very rare that I drink alcoholic beverages, but for occasions like this I like to have a glass of wine or 2. However, I am worried about this because I have been taking Ibuprofen + Darvocets for 2 months now, and I do not want to cause an extreme stomach irritation (I don't mind increased drowsiness).

Does anyone have any experiences? Do you think it would be okay for me to have a glass of wine or 2?
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
Re: Alcohol and Ibuprofen/Painkillers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 08:45:49 AM »
Hey :)
I reckon it would be definitely okay for you to have a glass or two :) As long as you do it in moderation it should be okay. I have taken presrciption Ibuprofen with alcohol before and have been fine. I am not sure what Darvocets are but once, when i was out having a big night my leg started to ache and i took two digesic (strong pain killers without codeine). I felt like i had drank 3 times as much as I had of but as i had had alot more than two drinks to start with who knows what would have happened anyway..eeek!  ;)

Have a fantastic day tomorrow! The wheelchairs are great you can hire. When i was on crutches for ages i went for a day out to a botanical garden and my Dad pushed me around in one, much easier than crutches plus your husband gets a workout!! :)

Pip. :)

Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 11:54:49 AM »
Hi Nekomimi,

It's not recommended to mix Darvocet and alcohol as is always said about narcotic analgesics.  Can cause dizziness and drowsiness. But you know what?  A glass or two of wine will probably not hurt...you may end up having a great night's sleep!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »
I definitely would not do it if I were on crutches, but in a wheelchair, why not!  Have fun!!

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 01:48:34 PM »
Hi Nekomimi -

Walden Pond - Why does that sound familiar to me????  Are you near Acton, MA?? Why am I convinced I've been there......

Hope you have a wonderful day!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:20:15 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
Hi Nekomimi -

Walden Pond - Why does that sound familiar to me?Huh  Are you near Acton, MA?? Why am I convinced I've been there......

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Hugs,

Liz

Yes! I live in Acton, MA! Are you from the area? ^_^ Walden Pond is in Concord, about a 5 minute drive from my home. :)
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 04:01:02 PM »
Hi Nekomimi,

It's not recommended to mix Darvocet and alcohol as is always said about narcotic analgesics.  Can cause dizziness and drowsiness. But you know what?  A glass or two of wine will probably not hurt...you may end up having a great night's sleep!

kath

I don't mind the dizziness and drowsiness associated with it. ^_^ I won't be driving or walking, so I think I'll do just fine. Also, darvocets don't make me sleepy (they actually make me very talkative), so I'm wondering if I'll be drowsy at all.

I was a little more worried about the ibuprofen because of stomach bleeding/ulcers.

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 04:02:55 PM »
Hey :)
I reckon it would be definitely okay for you to have a glass or two :) As long as you do it in moderation it should be okay. I have taken presrciption Ibuprofen with alcohol before and have been fine. I am not sure what Darvocets are but once, when i was out having a big night my leg started to ache and i took two digesic (strong pain killers without codeine). I felt like i had drank 3 times as much as I had of but as i had had alot more than two drinks to start with who knows what would have happened anyway..eeek!  ;)

Have a fantastic day tomorrow! The wheelchairs are great you can hire. When i was on crutches for ages i went for a day out to a botanical garden and my Dad pushed me around in one, much easier than crutches plus your husband gets a workout!! :)

Pip. :)

^_^ That sounds like a crazy experience!

Well, I've got to get ready to go! *hugs*

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 04:03:21 PM »
I definitely would not do it if I were on crutches, but in a wheelchair, why not!  Have fun!!

Rozzzie

WOOHOO! :D

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
8)
Hello!
I KNOW THE FEEELING OF BEING STUCK IN THE HOUSE, GO NUTS, i FINALLY GOT OUT TO GO TO STORE AND LOVED IT. mY HUSBAND PUSHED ME INA WHEEL CHAIR. i HAVE HAD A BEER SINCE MY OPERATION WHILE ON PAIN KILLERS, WHAT i DID WAS US AN UPSET STOMACHE MED BEFORE i DRANK IT AND HAD NO PROBLEM. IT DID GIVE ME ALOT BETTER SLEEP THAT NIGHT AND NO SIDE EFFECTS. i HOPE YPU HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME..
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 04:28:54 PM »
Hey again!

No - I don't live in Acton now, I live in Connecticut. But, I did live there when I was small... born in Ayer. My mom was born and raised in Acton. In fact her brother and his family still live there, and on the same street where they grew up!

Her entire family is from Acton, and the surrounding areas (Concord, Littleton, Maynard, Hudson). What a small world, huh?! I just knew I'd been to Walden Pond, and thought it was in Massachusetts. Have you lived there long? It is a nice area. Do you know the area of Newtown Road?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:20:00 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »
We actually just moved here in May, but it already feels like home. It's so beautiful and peaceful here.

We were living in a campground in Chaplin, CT (temporary job there) for 7 months. It was such a cool experience living out in the wilderness!

As for Newtown Road, it's about 3 miles from my house :)

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 05:05:33 PM »
I'm happy you're enjoying it there. I hope you'll find it to be a nice place to call home. I know some of the "natives" see it as a a boring place, but I've always appreciated its beauty. And, my has it changed over the years. I remember Newtown Road as a kid, nothing but trees and woods. Now the houses are like small mansions! Ahhh, modern civilization. Yes, I'm with you... the wilderness, and the simplicity of nature is more my style.

Nekomimi, hope you enjoy your day. Take care.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:19:36 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 04:40:08 AM »
I had a pretty good day overall, but we ended up only picking up the wheelchair and my prescriptions and visiting a beautiful farm to buy some fresh veggies. My knee started swelling and hurting, so we headed home soon after that. Maybe another day! :( We rented the wheelchair for a week, so we'll probably visit Walden Pond on a weekday (less people will be better I'm sure--I'm so antisocial! LOL)

Offline ROXY

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I have an answer for you!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 05:09:57 AM »
Two yrs. later I reallly understand what you are asking. For a good answer. For me I have been home for TWO YEARS recovering. I know the painkiller situation can bite sometimes. I have had one surgery and in one week another one? So, anyways...being housebound can be hard sometimes.
As for your ib/darvacet and drinking? What I do is if I know I will have a drink take only one type of painkiller a few hours prior to drinking. I also take darvecet. Also, vicadin, oxycottiin, and percacet alot more.Hard to spell, harder to swallow.  They all really get me sick to my stomach, howvever the darvacet is not too bad. Alone. Hope it works! I won't say GOOD LUCK! It is chessy. Feel better!
menicus/plica/acl/knee popping DIVA!
Meniscus/Plica/Knee Poppinng /ACL DIVA!
Retired distance Runner/P.E. Teacher

support