Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 7 mm full-thickness cartilage defect of the weightbearing medial femoral condyle  (Read 2657 times)

Offline georgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had an MRI which showed Grade-4 patellofemoral chondromalacia  of the medial patellar facet and trochlear groove.  I am in pain alot but now doing therapy (aquatic and physical).
However, I don't know what the weight bearing defect is.... What is it?

I know chondromalacia can't be cured but they can scrape it right?

My knee cap moves out of place alot, locks to the outer edge of my knee too. Could a lateral release help me with this problem?

THanks for your help.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
The weight bearing spot is your medial femoral chondyle. the trochlear groove is not really a weight bearing area. There are several surgeries to fix the cart defect. microfracture, ACI, OATS, look down in the arthritus section for more info. If maltracking of the patella is what caused the defects then that needs to be corrected first otherwise it will just tear up the restored cart. Articular cart. will not repair itself . It has no blood supply. Has your dr recommended any surgeries? Do you have an appt togo back tosee him?
keep us posted.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline georgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
My ortho doc just said I have arthritis and CP. He hasn't addressed the cartrilage defect. Therefore, I am going to my rhematologist who seems to have a genuine interest in my knee. I am going to ask him for a CT scan with contrast on both knees (both hurt now) in hopes that the contrast will reveal more of what the problem is than the MRI did.

The ortho didn't recommend any surgeries. My MRI report mentioned that the cruciate ligaments, menisci, and bilateral ligametns are intact but that my medial compartment appears minimally narrowed. What does this mean?

I can't seem to get anyone who knows what my report is saying. I am seeking treatment besides physical therapy and meds.

If anyone knows about this, please respond. Thanks.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Your MRI report means that your ligaments are fine, no tears and that you do not have a torn meniscus. MIninmally narrowed medial compartment means that due to OA, you have a little less space between the medial femoral chondyle and the other parts of your knee. It is a common description of arthritus. I have joint space narrowing in both of my knees now due to OA. with it saying that it is minimal, that is good, it means that the space has narrowed only a little. Your MRI seems to be fairly good compared to some that I have seen.
good luck and keep us posted.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia