Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Extremely painful knees walking downhill  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Beatrix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Extremely painful knees walking downhill
« on: September 09, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »
I can walk uphill no problem.  As soon as the gradient gets a bit steep coming downhill the pain starts on the outside edge of both knees.  The pain progessively gets worse and worse but as soon as the gradient levels off it becomes bearable.  The knees will hurt for the next day but as long as I'm not walking downhill the pain goes completely by the second day.  I think it caould have something to do with iliotibial band friction syndrome (ITBFS).  X-rays have shown nothing (although not in pain when they were x-rayed).  Doctor just says not to walk uphill!!  Problem is I love hiking in the hills!   Can anyone help.  I've sent off for a Pattstrap to see if that can help.

Offline clhimes

• Regular Poster
Re: Extremely painful knees walking downhill
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »
After my ACL surgery (and before) I've had problems with walking downhill as well. My physical therapist attributes much of it to weak hamstrings, so we are going to work on those now that my recovery is moving along.  You might try some hamstring strengthening and see if that helps.
Chris
48 y/o professor
Feb 13. 2005  skiing injury
Mar 2005 MRI shows ACL rupture, Grade III MCL and Grade II LCL sprains
ACL recon (hamstring) July 28, 2005

Offline ski bum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:52:27 PM »
In general, my understanding is that walking downhill(or down stairs)  is actually harder for your body than going uphill as it involves much more muscle-stopping (eccentric) activity.  Weak quads & hamstrings would both lead to knee pain.  In my case, I had strong hamstrings but weak quads--so downhill was painful and left my knee (front, sides) in pain.

So I second what Chris suggested:  strengthen your muscles (quads & hamstrings)

Andy
12/23/04:  complete ACL tear, partial LCL, tibia bruise
1/19/05:  allograph ACL
7/8/05:  AIR-scar tissue & ACL graft girth reduction
8/4/05 nearly full ROM-released to ski
8/11/06: AIR-scar tissue, grade 3 cartilage potholes on femur
10/13/10:  Mfx, L knee to fix 3cm pothole

Offline crash76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:32:02 AM »
I had an injury which was causing me a ton of pain going down hills or stairs but not going up.  Mine was due to tears in my tendon as well as my patella not riding propery in the track.  I got a brace that was hinged and had a patella stabalizer that helped a lot.  The only thing that helped with the tendon was rest.  I also had a torn meniscus at the same time, but the tendons and the shifted patella was the source of the pain down hill.
Good luck!
Right Knee
Reconstructed ACL 10/5/05
Stitched up meniscus 10/5/05

cholt

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 04:36:09 PM »
I have extreme pain on going down hills also.  It is one of the symptoms of Patella-femoral Osteoarthritis.  (Arthritis on the back of the kneecap)  Put your hand on top of your kneecap and swing your leg back and forth.  Do you feel or hear it crackling?  This is a sure sign also.  Hope you don't!  Good Luck!

Cindy

support