Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: [color=Green]Glucosamine & MSMs following ACL reconstruction - a good idea? [/co  (Read 1300 times)

Offline wanna_join_up

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I’ve seen on some threads the possibility of a conflict between the use of Glucosamine and MSM to combat OA, when the patient has undergone ACL reconstruction ???.   I have had ACL reconstruction, and partial lateral menisectomy, which I think may have torn further recently on return to sport (hockey on astroturf) 15 months post operatively :(.  I really don’t want to undergo further arthroscopy for meniscal damage if a positive result can be gained from physio (diagnostic consultation tomorrow) and the use of Glucosamine and MSMs.  Can anyone tell me if it is a bad idea to take these having had a hamstring autograft repair of my ACL, and what other ways I can avoid further surgery at all costs.  (My future career hangs in the balance based upon the full function of the knee being established without further surgery).  Thanks
ACL reconstruction/ partial lateral menisectomy 07/2004.  Campaigning since to achieve dream of joining the Army!

Offline mom with bum knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My OS told me that Gluc./Chond. is prescribed for all of his patients. He said that it has been shown to strengthen and possibly even repair damaged cartlidge in dogs. I'm no expert but I have not read anything that has alerted me of any side effects. I am not familiar with the MSM comb., but I'm sure someone else will post that knows more about that. Best of luck to you!
Meniscus repair, left knee 2001
Meniscotomy, right knee 2003
Meniscus repair, left knee 2005