Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain management advice please!!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
pain management advice please!!
« on: September 08, 2005, 10:06:54 PM »
 ??? I'm having a bad day and i just wondered if theres anything else i can do to help my pain tonight so i can sleep?! i've had pain killers but would you recommend ice for an old injury, or just when theres swelling? Also, any ideas on what i can do at college tomorrow coz i have a full days work ahead of me . . . AHHH!   :'(    :'(

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: pain management advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 10:46:51 PM »
I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't see why icing would be a bad thing.  Sometimes just doing *something* when you are in pain helps (or maybe I'm crazy!). I like to think that I'm managing IT instead of it managing me. :) Hope you get some relief!

Pam

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 06:52:30 AM »
If you have crutches, then use them for a day or 2 to stay off the leg, ice and elevate as much as you can.
Maybe a hot bath can help depends on what pain you have and why.
Hope it helps !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 08:10:57 AM »
thanks! i unfortunately dont have crutches, but i'll try the ice and see what happens.

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 03:49:19 PM »
You know, you probably should get some crutches. :) Ask your doc for an RX for them. I have a hate/love relationship with mine. I HATE that I have to use them, but I LOVE it that they help me get around. Hope you're feeling better today.

Pam

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:58:21 PM »
thanks pam. my op should be anytime between next wednesday and the end of october so hopefully it will settle down with rest. does anyone think that the tear could have moved positions? because it feels like it does after the tear gets stuck in the joint and my knee collapses from under me, except i can put weight on it when its straight. its been the same pain for the past year but suddenly feels worse.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:18:02 PM »
Your tear can certainly get larger...especially if it is being caught in the knee joint.  I would definitely ice, elevate, try heat too if no swelling....basically baby it!  Hope you can get it fixed sooner rather than later!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »
Thank you too! everyone on here is great and give good advice! i'll definately try the changes in temperature thing. the ice might just numb the pain for a bit!

Offline mom with bum knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »
I just wanted to second or third the previous advice. Maybe the school clinic has a pair of crutches you could rent or borrow. I would also wrap it well with an ACE bandage. Some times that little extra support can help. Ice it and elevate it whenver you can. Pull up a chair in class to prop it up on. Also, for over-the counter pain med., Alleve seems to help me out much more than Advil or Tylenol. Hope you feel better.
Meniscus repair, left knee 2001
Meniscotomy, right knee 2003
Meniscus repair, left knee 2005

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 04:53:33 PM »
If heat helps, I say use heat. If it's ice that relieves the pain, use it. For me ice works better & I'm not opposed to icing & elevating whenever I need to. I've been walking since early morning & I'm heading off to grab the ice packs now before I get further involved. Sometimes the icing w/o any NSAIDS is all I need to deal with the achiness. Wishing you pain relief...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support