Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Poor ROM/MRI/MUA  (Read 2508 times)

Offline BD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Poor ROM/MRI/MUA
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:39:34 PM »
I dislocated my left kneecap the last weekend in June, wore an immobilizer for six weeks followed by PT for what is now my fourth week in an effort to restore range of motion.  Zero progress on ROM in PT led to an MRI which reports:  marked bone marrow contusion of patella and lateral femoral condyle, small to moderate joint effusion, suspect injury of the MCL, complex tear in the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus, intact ACL and LCL (there's good news!).  My OS is going to perform a manipulation to be followed by immediate (and intense, I'm sure) PT to retain ROM. I'm game for anything that will provide relief, but since the injury it has always felt like there was something inside the joint blocking its movement, and I had been expecting a "scope" to go along with the MUA.  If anyone out there has been in a similar situation, or can shed some light on the MRI diagnosis, let me know your thoughts.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Poor ROM/MRI/MUA
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 06:20:41 PM »
Hey !!

If have have a tear on your meniscus of course there must be a scope to fix that before doing MUA.
Has the doc only said MUA, if so I would consider second opinion or even third if I were you.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
Hi BD,
   The meniscus tear may be what is restricting the ROM.  Talk to your OS about scoping the knee, trimming or repairing the tear and then addressing the scar tissue.  As Nettan said, a 2nd or 3rd opinion may be in order.  Good luck.

Patty

Offline BD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 09:22:12 PM »
That was my thought, too, and my second opinion is scheduled for next week...there's no such thing as too much knowledge.  I have heard that there is another school of thought that says not to scope first because they pump it full of fluid and that can restrict the motion.  I'll let you know what #2 says.  I'd be a little less reluctant to go with the MUA if the MRI had said anything about scar tissue, but I didn't get that in my read, just the bruised bones and torn meniscus and laterally dislocated meniscus.  Actually I'm unexcited about the  MUA under any circumstance  because it sounds kinda medieval.

Offline BD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:56:01 PM »
I saw my second opinion last week, and he voted for a scope, which I am much more comfortable with than the closed manipulation, so we're going for that in two weeks.  It just didn't make sense to me to subject the poor knee to even more trauma, I think it's had quite enough, thank you.  This new OS specializes in sports medicine, so I'm more optimistic about his plans to restore me to serviceability.  I'll move over to the soft tissue section and post there also to see what the other geeks say I can expect out of this.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 06:30:23 AM »
This looks much better then making a MUA. A sports doc, I'm glad you find a doc you like.
Wish you the best of luck, hope everything will go great and that the doc find the reason why you have poor ROM.
Keep us updated please !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.