Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI results of Right Knee! (Opinions Appreciated)  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Arsenal1414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results of Right Knee! (Opinions Appreciated)
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:47:36 PM »
Here are the results of the MRI of my right knee.  I went to a second doctor for his opinion.  Both have said that it could be a three week recovery or 6 weeks just on crutches.  I was hoping to try and rehab without surgery.  However, my knees gives out now and then.

Findings: 
There is a small/moderate joint effusion.  No evidence of Bakers Cyst

There is a cartilaginous flap/tear involving the medial femoral articular cartilage.  There is a small amount of fluid interposed between the cartilage and bone, compatible with a flap tear.  There is moderate marrow edema/bone bruise involving the medial femoral condyle.  The remaining articular cartilage is intact.

The anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate, medial and lateral collateral ligaments as well as the quadriceps and patellar tendons are intact.  The menisci are intact.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: MRI results of Right Knee! (Opinions Appreciated)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »
Ok, you have articular cart damage on the medial femoral chondyle. I understand that yours is a flap, not a hole. Mine was a hole, dug out in an accident. I know for a fact that  a hole will not heal on its own because there is no blood supply to articular cart but I am unsure if a flap could reattach itself. If the flap does not reattach itself, you will probably  need surgery. There is a large section in the arthritus section about cart. restoration and regeneration. There are many options depending on the size of the defect. there is microfracture, ACI , MACI, OATS.
As far as the rest of the report, you have a bone bruise to the medial femoral chondyle, moderate joint effusion means you have a moderate amount of swelling, there was no bakers cyst found inside your knee (this can contain fluid too)I have one lol.

The main thing that you need to know is , will a flap of articular cart heal on its own. I am sorry that I do not know the answer.

If you dont know where you MFC is , it is a big weight bearing spot. Look straight down at your knee. Where the thigh bone meets the knee, it looks kind of like a fist. The soft shiney stuff covering the bone is the articular cart, (like the end of a chicken leg bone, the shiny white stuff). the medial femoral chondyle is the inside part of the end of the thigh bone. YOu know how it looks like it has two little round balls at the end of the bone? Well, the little ball on the inside of the knee is the mfc.
if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
good luck
keep us posted
missy

sorry if my description doesnt make sense, it is hard to verbalize lol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 05:11:15 PM by stgiles16 »
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Arsenal1414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:28:27 PM »
Well, I guess my main question is how does the deep bone bruise heal?  Also, could I get away with not having surgery?

Thanks

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:40:19 PM »
The bone bruise will heal on its own but will take a long time. I still cant answer the question about the articular cart. flap. try to google the question  of whether a chondral flap can heal on its own, that should give you an idea. If it does not heal on its own, chances are, you will need surgery.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis