Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Swelling as a sign of injury  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Swelling as a sign of injury
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »
Is it possible to be a slow sweller? I had no swelling with a torn acl and lat meniscus until the next day but all the stuff I've read implies that if your knee isn't swollen within 30-60 mins you haven't torn your acl.
I was thinking back to when I fell off my bike as a kid and broke my nose and grazed all the right side of my face (5yr old next door was terrified of me) it didn't swell up at all until the next day. Hence I'm wondering if this something I should point out if I am unfortunate to find myself in A&E again!
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Swelling as a sign of injury
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »
I don't know what the rule of thumb is regarding injury/swelling but I can tell you that when I ruptured my ACL, tore the medial meniscus & LCL etc., the tremendous swelling wasn't apparent until the next morning. The pain was there from the beginning but there was minimal swelling by comparison to what my knee looked like the next day...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »
I had a complete ACL tear (snapped) and hardly had any swelling.  The pain was immediate and 10x worse by the evening, but still didnt really swell too much.

Good Luck,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »
Hi Charlie,

I've torn both acl's, one completely severed.  The first one, the severed one, caused me the worst pain I'd ever had.  Like someone put dynamite into my knee and blew out the left (lateral) side of the knee.  The second one, I had hit my head so hard into the wall on the rball court that I didn't even realize I'd hurt my leg for about ten minutes.  But to get to your question, I had no swelling that I could see in either knee either immediately after injury or any time later.  A physical therapist could detect a slight bit of swelling.  Some of us just aren't big "swellers" and I also suspect it has something to do with whether just the acl was damaged without any further injury to other portions of the knee. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

support