Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is Running Bad ?  (Read 909 times)

Offline bmk007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is Running Bad ?
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:06:27 PM »
Hello

I also posted this on another knee forum. so I apologize if anyone has to read this twice...

I am about 2 years, 4 months post-op from L ACL recon and menisicus repair.  I have been back to my sports of choice - indoor soccer and softball without any major issues.

I was never much of a distance runner in the past, but for whatever reason, I have been on a kick lately of running in various 5-K and 4 mile running events.  I hate running, but I think I am having a mental battle with myself just to prove that I can participate in such events after my knee surgery.  (by the way, I am 31 years old)

My question to you all is this - is running really bad for my repaired knee in the grand scheme of things?  I do most of my training by running on treadmills and then my competitive events are running outside on concrete.

I know there are lots of opinions on the matter, but essentially, is all of this running going to take it's toll my my repaired knee?  I am determined to train and run a marathon next year if I am able. but I dont want to do it at the expense of reinjuring myself.   

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for looking at this and taking the time to reply.

Sincerely,
Brett
L ACL recon (pt) 5/8/03
L meniscus repair 5/8/03
L meniscus removal 5/9/07

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Is Running Bad ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:03:21 AM »
I have been told that ther are better thing to do than running..such as swimming and bikking but I also am still living with a knee problem..youve gotten yours fixed. When you run its something like 7 times your body weight being pumped through your knees...so they take a beating.  Im not sure if its bad for you or not..but I know one of my teachers had ACL?mensicus surgery and she does a 10km run twice a week....
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 06:24:02 AM »
Like Krista says if your knee is fixed you should be able running. but you should be avare of that running is one of the sports who is thoughest for the knees. Be sure you have good shoes to run in to avoid damages in future.
If you haven't felt any pain or so, I'm sure running can be good for you.
Wish you good luck !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 04:53:09 PM »
As all have said, running on a concrete surface is bad for knees.  A regular competitive track with the "rubberized" surface is much more knee friendly.  If you had any minor cartilage damage in your knee, street running will probably end up exacerbating the problem.  But, at age 31, you have to more or less ask yourself if you want to do now what you can do and end up paying the price later in life, or hold yourself back to avoid problems later on.  At age 51, I've decided to go all out in racquetball as long as I can, but also hone my shot making so that I can continue playing into "old" age.  I also have been trying to get a golf game.  In other words, I'm looking ahead at not being as speedy and mobile as I am now and refining sports of choice so I can have a recreational sports life later on.   Wishing you luck in whatever pursuits you choose.
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline bmk007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:12:49 PM »
Thank you all for your prompt responses and advice.  I really appreciate it.

Best of luck to you all.
L ACL recon (pt) 5/8/03
L meniscus repair 5/8/03
L meniscus removal 5/9/07

support