Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: questions from a newbie!  (Read 847 times)

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
questions from a newbie!
« on: September 06, 2005, 03:31:57 PM »
Hey there!

this is my first post, just joined up today and had a few questions.

I am awaiting a scope for torn meniscus in right knee - was meant to happen last wednesday, but got cancelled and now i have one booked for 23 october. im also on a cancellations list so could go in anytime from a week on wednesday.

first question is on recovery. i am starting my AS levels tomorrow and don't want to miss any more than needed. when i went for pre op for previous op date, the nurse told me she recommended two weeks off! i was thinking that i could manage with the first week off but do you think i would need crutches to go back after that or would i be ok? will they give me crutches?

also wanted to know what the difference is in recovery time for repair or trimming as the doc wont know till he gets in there.

Im grateful for anyone who has any advice for me!

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: questions from a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:52:55 PM »
Hi Csangel,
   I have had several torn menisci trimmed during arthoscopic surgrery.  I walked out of the surgery and took one day off of work.  I was back to normal in 2-3 weeks.  I have never had a meniscal tear but the rehab is more stringent and longer.  Repair requires being non-weight bearing for several weeks and usually formal PT.  Best of luck!

Patty

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
Re: questions from a newbie!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:56:55 PM »
Hi Patty

thanks for the post. V helpful. do you know of any exercises i could do pre op as it took a while for the docs to diagnose the tear - over a year - as the put me doing pt for about 6 months before an MRI which took 6 weeks to get results from! (typical NHS service!!) thanks again.