Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How to Make Best Use of NHS OS Appt  (Read 1204 times)

Offline wabn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How to Make Best Use of NHS OS Appt
« on: February 26, 2003, 08:58:31 PM »
I'm due to see my OS (or, more likely, one of his junior doctors) next Wednesday, and having been riveted to this website for the past week, am both encouraged and frightened.

There seems to be a vast amount of information so many of you have learned, and you seem to know how to ask for various tests and treatments. All I know is that after 3 months at home recuperating from a meniscectomy, I'm in as much pain as before the operation, and a month of physio hasn't helped.  The physio has recommended we try acupuncture, but as I have MS (in remission for 10 years) I'm afraid that anything new might kick-start that again. Has acupuncture helped anyone else?

I don't want to 'waste' the appt by being unprepared, but I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for, except answers.

Reading this site has shown me that many people suffer from longterm knee problems; I guess partly I'm afraid I'm about to become one of them, and this is scarey.
Having been promoted at my job in October,  operated on in November, and off sick since then, I see my life shrinking into days on the couch or sitting here logging on to this website...

Thanks for any advice in advance,
Wendy

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Together is the bestest place to be
Re: How to Make Best Use of NHS OS Appt
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 11:47:55 AM »
Hi Wendy,

I can't help you with the acupuncture cos i've had no experience of that but i have had plenty of NHS OS appointments!

The best advice i can give is to be honest. I know i often find it easier just to sit there in stunned silence or try to be positive but that won't help in the long term.

Maybe writing down a list of questions or points you want to make would be a good idea - that way you can't chicken out!

Also don't be afraid of taking more than your alloted 10 minutes. You have a right to get answers and that will take as long as it takes.

If you get stuck with a junior doctor who doesn't seem to know the answers ask to see the consultant - it's scary at the time but much better than going away with no clearer picture of what's going on or how to proceed.

Another thing is perhaps to have some goals in mind before the appt - maybe going back to work, being able to walk a mile - and then asking how to get to that point.

I'm not sure if any of this has helped but if you have any more questions please feel free to ask, either here or IM me.

Good luck with the appointment.

Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Offline wabn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: How to Make Best Use of NHS OS Appt
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 01:32:59 PM »

Liz,

Thanks alot for your advice.  I didn't even know that my allotted time was 10 minutes!

I do always make a list before an appointment, but your suggestion about writing down goals is a good one as well.

I'm an American who is trying to make sense of the UK health care system, and finding it a bit confusing. In my fear of coming across as a 'pushy American' I think I sometimes don't do myself justice.  Your advice, again, was really helpful.

Thanks.

Wendy