Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cortisone Injections  (Read 1751 times)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone Injections
« on: September 05, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »
Hi everybody! I was wondering if you all had any information on cortisone injections into the knee? I am required to take anti-inflammatories and narcotics on a daily basis to get by with my knee(am waiting for a TTT, but won't be until next july). I really don't want to continue taking narcotics for another 10 months, so i was wondering how effective coritsone may be for my knee pain and swelling? Any experiences with it would be great to hear about. I figure i will talk to my PT about it, and get his input, and talk to my OS and see if he sees me as a candidate i guess. Thanks for any information at all, it is greatly appreciated.
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Cortisone Injections
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:09:42 AM »
Hi Lea, I too take narcotics everyday and probably will for the rest of my life. I tried a cortizone shot ONCE. Unfortunately it didnt help me. I was in increased pain for 2 days and then nothing. Some people have great relief from them. If your OS agrees, give it a try. I wont try it again though. Just call me chicken. And in case someone tells you that it doesnt hurt,,,,,,,, they have either got no nerves in there knee or they are trying not to scare you. It does hurt to get that shot.

My OS has suggested synvic for me but I am too chicken to go for more shots in that knee.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:27:10 AM »
Hi Lea,
   I have had several cortisone shots in each knee and have also had the synvisc series in each knee.  Neither one helped.  And I must be one of the people with no nerves because none of the cortisone shots has ever been painful (besides the knees I have also had them in the ankle, wrist, hip and shoulder).  It is worth a try, it may help.

Good luck,
Patty

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 04:30:02 PM »
I've had a couple of cortisone shots to the knee.  Because they place the needle exactly in the spot that hurts, the inkection did hurt.  I got about 6-8 weeks of pain relief each time.  Wonderful pain relief, within hours.  However, you can only get 2-3 a year (depending on your OS's protocols).  Some people get 304 months of pain releif, others only a few days, or none at all.  You won't know where you fit in until you try it.  I'd say it's definitely worth a shot.  It could make the next year much more comfortable for you. 

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »
Hi Leah

They work for some and not for others.  I've had two (neither of which helped).  However on the pain thing, ask your OS to put a shot of anaesthetic in with the cortisone - it helps.

My first shot hurt like h*ll.  My second, I told my OS about the first one and he suggested putting a mix of anaesthetic in with the cortisone.

Give it a try - you've nothing to lose.  ;)

Let us all know how it goes
Beth  ;D
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline doglady606

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 06:19:44 PM »
I have had mixed results with the cortisone shots.  Some worked great and others didn't seem to do much.  The last one I had was painful while he was doing it, but it only took about 20 seconds, then it was over.  My OS uses some kind of mixture of corti, a pain reliever, and something else, I can't remember.   My knee always feels very full after a corti shot, with all the medicine in there, but that feeling is gone by the next day.  I will say the injection site is sore for a few days too.
July 2004  Scope L. knee meniscus tears repaired(cut away), debridement, complete loss of articluar cartilage in medial compartment
Unispacer implant L. knee Spetember 2004
TKR right knee Nov. 08'

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 03:19:56 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies and advice on the cortizone. I think i am definately going to inquire about it. Even if it means i have to take a little bit less of the narcotics and anti-inflams i think it will at least be worth a try, and if it didn't work, i can always say that at least i tried it right!? Last year when we had clinical i had it every thursday, and friday was just classes all day, so i could sort of rest it during class, but this year, every other week, both wednesday and thursday we have clinical all day, so there will be much less downtime for resting. Hopefully with a new brace and a cortizone shot the next 10 months will be relatively okay. Thanks again for all of your help,
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise