Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Training for half marathon - knee hurts - help!!  (Read 940 times)

Offline tommygaynor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Training for half marathon - knee hurts - help!!
« on: September 05, 2005, 07:13:05 PM »
I've been training for the Nottingham Half Marathon for six months and now, and with a week to go I've got a gammy knee.  It first started hurting last week after an 11 mile run.  Three or four hours after the run, the outside of my left knee start to get tight.  It also started to click when I walked.

It's now fine when I'm walking but as soon as I start running it gets tight again and feels kind of twisted but as soon as I stop running it's fine with the occasional twinge. ??? It clicks sometimes when I walk.

Any advice please.  My half marathon's on Sunday and I need to run it cos I've raised lots for charity.

Thanks,
Tommy

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Training for half marathon - knee hurts - help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 01:33:21 AM »
Could it be your IT band is tight?  Often that's what pain on the outside (lateral) portion of the knee means.  I think if you search this site you'll find stretches for the IT band; try those out once you're warmed up or after running.  Be sure to ice as well, to reduce swelling. 

Good luck with the race - keep us posted! 

1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Training for half marathon - knee hurts - help!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:09:11 AM »
It might be worth the expense (approx 30-50) of booking an appointment with a private physio in order to see if they have any idea what the problem might be and how to get you through the race.  If they think that it is ok for you to run that distance then they should be able to provide help and advice to get you through it even if it means coming back after the race for further treatment.  If however, they feel that it would be a bad idea for you to run or that you should speak to a doctor, please listen to them.

Rachel