Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Manipulation following Fulkerson  (Read 837 times)

Offline OTgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Manipulation following Fulkerson
« on: September 05, 2005, 01:06:37 AM »
This is my first post (but I have been reading other posts on this site for months)...

After 100s of dislocations of my R knee, a LR 11 years ago, and one nasty dislocation last summer resulting in a patella fracture I had a Fulkerson and LR 7/20/05.  The surgery was put on hold last year when  I found I was pregnant.  8 weeks after my C-section I had major knee surgery (I don't recommend a Fulkerson with an infant by the way-but I had little other choice).  I have had a weak R leg for a year, made worse by the extra weight. Quad strength is coming, but very slowly.  6 weeks post-op I am still walking with 2 crutches and my brace locked in extension. According the PT I will be loosing a crutch this week and starting to walk with my brace hinged.

On my last visit to the OS, I was scheduled for a manipulation.  The OS says it is not due to scar tissue build up but to "go ahead and bend the knee all the way while my leg is numb".  After and initial stretch,I can actively bend my knee to about 65 degrees, the PT can get it to 80-85 (with much pain).  The OS is concerned about the continued swelling and terrible stiffness and thinks the manipulation may help with both pain and swelling.  Following the suggestion of the OS, I have decreased frequency of PT to 2x/wk (down from 3x/wk), to see if I was just pushing too hard.  The manipulation is scheduled for 9/21 but will be cancelled if the stiffness goes away.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the stiffness with bending or how to get through a manipulation? The manipulation process sounds horrible to me!
100s of dislocations R knee
LR 8/1994
dislocation and patella fracture 7/2004
Fulkerson & LR 7/20/2005

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Manipulation following Fulkerson
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:21:36 PM »
I think it is time for you to get a second opinion.  A manipulation under anesthesia (MUA) is a barbaric procedure and can result in much more damage to knee, hip and/or back.  Use the search engine on this site and type in MUA and you will read a lot of posts from people like me who had the procedure and deeply regret it.

I am also concerned that your current OS says you do not have scar tissue.  Why does he think you have such poor range of motion (ROM)?  Why does he think an MUA will help.  You really need to do your research on this topic before you agree to undergo such a drastic procedure.

And again, I can't emphasize enough that you should get a second opinion, preferably from an OS that has experience in dealing with post op recovery such as arthrofibrosis (scar tissue).

Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

support