Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cycling Injury  (Read 557 times)

Offline SimonS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cycling Injury
« on: September 04, 2005, 03:40:30 PM »
What are the most common injurys incurred on the knees through this repetitive action. My right knee seems to get a swelling just under the knee cap and near the join of the tibia. it feels like a pulled muscle with a burning sensation. It seems to heal after a day or so, but is still there when I cycle again, even after 3 weeks rest. In other words it is not improving after 4 months now.
SimonS

Offline jim mac

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Cycling Injury
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:24:26 PM »
Simon,
Your injury could come from something other than cycling altogether.  There are a host of knee problems that can come from cycling.  I ride about 5000 miles/year (until me recent knee problems).  Most knee ailments come from improper bike fit, usually saddle height and fore and aft position.  You can find bike fit information on the web as well as common knee problems too by just searching on google.  Also I don't know what you are using for pedals but if you have too much float or not enough float it can cause knee irritation.  You really have to tinker and use trial and error.  Once you dial in the right combination you will find that your knee issues will subside.  It can be frustrating.  I think I actually tore my meniscus while unclipping from the pedals.  I use speedplay pedals on my road bike and found that they were really comfortable but may have had too much float.  Good luck!  Oh . . . I almost forgot IT band syndrome is very common among cyclists too but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.  I think pain in the front of the knee comes from your saddle being to far forward and to low? 

Jim Mac
2005 - 3/4 arthroscopy meniscus repair + plica removal, 3/9 staph infection 2nd scope (lavage), 3/12 open incision (lavage), 3/13 cauterize vein + lavage, 3/17 lavage and incision closure, -  Arthrofibrosis -  6/24 debridement, LR, MUA - 10/12 LOA + synovectomy 2006 . . .