Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction with medial menisectomy..what to do???  (Read 653 times)

Offline mschill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction with medial menisectomy..what to do???
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:33:15 AM »
I was diagnosed about a year ago with a meniscal tear. This was confirmed on MRI. MRI also revealed an "old" ACL tear. I am a 42 yr. old female and think I may have torn my ACL at age 20 skiing. I never knew I had a torn ACL. Have been running since age 20 including 7 marathons. Currently my activities include biking and spinning and have had to limit running due to the meniscal tear.I do have some laxity in my knee on physical exam and with a KT1000 test. I do not feel I have much "instability" in the knee. On occasion have a feeling of "hyperextension" but not sure this is related to the ACL. The pain I do have is related more to the meniscal tear. I am seeing advice on how to proceed. Surgery for meniscal resection only or resection with ACL reconstruction? I am not involved in cutting sports such as basketball or skiing. I mainly want to continue biking and return to some level of running (2-3x/week) but not marathons. I understand that the menisci function as secondary stabilizers to the ACL. So if I have part of my meniscus resected and leave the ACL alone am I setting myself up for more stress on the meniscus that remains? I was thinking of taking care of the meniscus only and reassess how I am doing in 3-4 months. If the ACL is becoming an issue deal with that then. Also...I did have a partial menisectomy on my right knee in May and doing just fine with that knee. Thanks!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: ACL reconstruction with medial menisectomy..what to do???
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »
Have you asked the doc about it ? I would do so if I were you. All depends on how much of meniscus who needs be taken away and how your knee look inside. But if you have managed all this years with damaged ACL, I think you will able manage without it. You can also go down further this site under "Cruciate ligaments" and ask. You get best feed back there.Good luck to you !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.