Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can u help? What does this indicate? Hope somene can shed some light.  (Read 1017 times)

Offline jo1434

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0

Hope somene can shed some light.
area of softening of the articular cartilage on the back of her kneecap, a small amount of swelling within the knee joint, and either an inflammation or a small tear of the front part of the meniscus.
What does this idicate?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Can u help? What does this indicate?Hope somene can shed some light.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 12:45:47 AM »
the softened cartilage would suggest chondromalacia which is a symptom rather than a diagnosis.  The goal now would be to determine how the injury (softening) occured and try to work to solve that problem.

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 04:45:49 AM »
I have chondromalacia. I was told that my problem ocurred from playing softball for 12 years ( I was a catcher) From squatting and standing up repetatively I destroyed my knees. Mine was misdiagnosed in the beginning. I was told that if it was diagnosed right in the beginning that PT would correct it. Because that was not done from the start I also developed subluxation (partial dislocations of the knee). It was explained to me that all this was from "soft" cartilage and my knee became "unstable". When I had my surgery done, the OS stated that I had almost a full thickness lesion behind the knee cap. If this just started make sure you read up on all of the possible treatments. Go the less agressive route first, if they mention surgery, definitly get a second opinion to be on the safe side because physical therapy might help it. I made the mistake of having the surgery done because I could not stand the pain, and the surgery wasn't done right, now I have to have it redone again. If you ever had to rehab a knee after surgery you know that it's very hard and extremely painful. Good luck, I hope I helped some.

Offline jo1434

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 05:37:16 AM »
Thanks for your responses. Still waiting, am feeling a little less anxious now. :)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »
Hey, i only read quickly but i don't think i saw an explanation for the small tear that may be in your meniscus. I had a small tear in the posterior horn of my lateral meniscus which required surgery. If if causes you pain they can either remove the piece of meniscus that is torn or sew it back together depending on the severity of the case etc. I have even heard of some people not requiring surgery at all for it :)
As for chondromalacia, i've never had a formal diagnosis but my OS said my clicking and crunching in my knee as a straighten it is most likely from the cartilage roughening on the back of my knee cap. However it's never really hurt so i've never had anything done. Some people suggest taking glucosamine and chondroitin for cartilage issues as it's supposed to promote cartilage growth.
I've never tried it myself because i'm a bit of a skeptic but many people swear by it!

Goodluck with everything, i hope it's nothing serious and everything turns out how you want it to!
Pip.
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline jo1434

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 12:04:15 AM »
Thanks for your insight - still waiting to hear what we have to do next.

support