Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: anyone else have crutches issues?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline fifi1974

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
anyone else have crutches issues?
« on: September 03, 2005, 11:03:21 PM »
Hi,

Not sure where to post this...
I have a REAL problem with my crutches, and it's this.
When I'm on narrow stairs, using my crutches (especially to go down) is terryifying. The bit where I'm balancing my weight on the crutches feels really precarious. It is esp bad if it's been raining. I feel much safer ditching the crutches and hanging onto a rail, which won't slip, slide or move. So if I'm by myself I have to ask a handy passer-by to take my crutches and then use the rail to get down, then hand my crutches back. can't leave the crutches though - need them to get up/down hill, or if (aaagh) no rail.

Has anyone any ideas for how I deal with this issue if there are no passers by to collar. I'm about to move back to my second floor flat (3rd if you're US) and have an outside set of steps to deal with in a very quiet street. any ideas?

Thanks
Fi
14/7/05 fell and broke right patella
15/7/05 ORIF (in France)
19/7/05 leave hospital and return to UK.
7/9/05 brace removed!
18/10/05 Finally start proper PT. ROM at about 105
10/03/06 Discharged by OS
14/03/06 Discharged by PT (8 months to the day after fall)
Hardware removal???

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: anyone else have crutches issues?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 11:10:19 PM »
If you are going down stairs and there is a railing, put both crutches in the opposite hand as the railing. This way, you use the railing and your crutches to go down the stairs, plus you don't have to find someone to care them down for you...

Hope this helps!
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Nails

• Regular Poster
  • I love sports!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 02:55:51 AM »
Haver you every tried sitting down and sliding down on your behind down the stairs? That's what I did. My stairs are really steep and I was afraid to "hop down" like the doctors told me. Instead I slid and it was real easy and I was more comfortable. Of course this wouldn't work if you're outside because then you would get your behind all dirty.
Good luck
Nails
ACL Reconstruction June '05 (Hamstring Graft)
MCL Tear Grade III
Bone Bruise
Cyst
Dried up cartilage on bone
"Its time to release the beast.. Let me play!"
*18 years old*

Offline momof4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:34:52 AM »
Stairs are almost as bad as my kids' bedrooms!

I put both crutches in the hand opposite the rail, but use them for balance--like a tightrope walker--while using the rail to steady me.  If I lose my balance--the crutches go & I can grab the rail with both hands.  I also found it easier (when possible) to use the rail on the side of the injury--it just felt more stable going up & down--kind of like balancing on one crutch which you do as you progress.

Good luck & BE CAREFUL!    Pamela

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 08:51:45 AM »
I put crutches in my opposite hand and use them to balance... as well, but also if i'm on stairs that have no railing.. like all the ones in my Mom and Dad's house, i put them in one hand and put them the step below and sort of hop down. But this is pretty tricky too, and if you have  knees anything like mine and they aren't both perfect...
I like the butt sliding too... works well for me, if they are indoor NICE stairs.
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »
yah i do the "butt scoot" as well  ;D my hubby laughs at me, but i don't care!
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 01:36:59 AM »
I've done the butt scoot and the balancing thing. The last time I used my crutches, I threw them down the stairs and held onto the rail with both hands and away I went. My crutches are metal. I don't know what yours are but this worked for me. I just kindof laid them down on the stairs and let them slide down and I came at my own pace. It's also a good tension reliever. Just make sure there is no one else around. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone by wacking them with a flying crutch.

Offline Julia C.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 10:53:03 AM »
Thanks for all these techniques with crutches on stairs. I will be on crutches soon and was getting worried about how I would manage. My right knee will be bandaged straight, but my left knee is already complaining about the extra work! My upper body strength isn't great either.
I like the sound of the butt scoot and the letting the crutches go down by themselves and using two hands on the rail technique.
So thanks for asking the question Fi and I hope you get on well when you move back to your flat.
Sept 2005 - Benign tumour removed from right knee, diagnosed as localised pigmented villonodular synovitis.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 02:21:02 PM »
Hey Fi...crutches definitley are not fun! I found going down stairs okay, but like some of the others i used one hand on the railing, it made things easier because unlike the crutches which wobble around the railing stays put! What type of crutches are you using as well? I used the under the arm kind ages ago and found they were hard to use but recently when i was on crutches for about 3 months i used the ones that come around the elbow and they are heaps heaps better! ;D  I found i was much more stable on these ones.
A problem you may have if you are on crutches for a while is sore hands...because your hands take alot of the pressure i found mine started to bruise. A good idea is to perhaps place some foam or padding over the hand rests. I've even seen some people use gloves!

Also another tip with stairs- After my operation my physio said whenever going up or down stairs always place your good leg forward first when going up stairs and your bad leg forward first when going down stairs! She said to think of it as good going to heaven, bad going to hell...heh. It really did make things easier though!

Goodluck with everything, you'll get there :)!
Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »
Hi Pip,

That is too funny that your physio gave you that little saying to remember which foot to put first....my physio in the hospital said the exact same thing! :-)

Heather

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 02:29:29 PM »
Hey Heather :)

That is funny!...hehe, it must work if many physio's all around the place are recommending it! Did you find it helped you out as well? Stairs can be quite daunting on crutches, i was glad i didn't have any at my house! I have a friend who snapped his achilles tendon and he had to make his way up four huge flights of stairs to get to his bedroom!!

Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 02:41:51 PM »
Pip,

Yes, I did find it extremely helpful. I have a flight of stairs in my house and I would always pause at the top and bottom to remember the physio's words....a great way to remember! :-)

Heather

Offline Kayls23

• Regular Poster
  • Silly knees!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 03:02:52 PM »
Crutches are a nightmare  >:(. I used the elbow crutches, which are heaps better, but still scary on stairs. I tried the two crutches in one hand, but it never seemed to work for me... so I ended up sliding one crutch down the stairs, and using the railing on one side and one crutch on the other  :). For going up the stairs, I did pretty much the same, except I slid the crutch up the stairs instead. Worked for me.  :) Good Luck! x
Femoral lateral wedge osteotomy in March 05, to correct Valgus Deformity.