Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm Back After a While and I just want to vent  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
I'm Back After a While and I just want to vent
« on: February 26, 2003, 04:15:04 PM »
Hi - It's me Lizzie from the UK - not Jenny from the Bronx!!

I've been posting on the Virtual Getaway - it's my medication to not keep moaning about what my luck is like - but I thought that maybe I should just have a wee vent.

Oaky - so here it is - I had a total menisectomy of my right knee along with a debridement and a washout in my right knee on 8th October '01.  

I was having a problem with the recuperation and was still on crutches after having problems with pain etc in December.  I was back at work full-time a week after my op.  On 6th December I was walking with the aid of crutches from my car to my flat when my left crutch slid across an indentation in the pavement which was full of mud, damp leaves and debris.  

I had been onto the maintenance company for ages before my fall that this was a tripping hazard, especially as behind my flats, across from the courtyard there are flats that are lived in by the elderly - so I was scared that some elderly person was going to fall and break a hip or something major.

Well - it was me - I tried to stop myself from falling and ended up and straining my left ankle, tore my medial meniscus in my left knee, hurt my right knee and also sprained my right thumb and right wrist as well as hurting my right shoulder and also twisted and damaged my back.  

I had surgery in May '02 on both knees and found out that there was a tear in my medial meniscus in my left knee, along with a medial plication and ACL adhesions.  My right knee had a washout and was still giving way.  

It's now over a year since my accident and I'm still off work with the pain in my knees and my back.  I'm not getting paid and my finances are very bad - so that adds a lot of stress.

I've got a personal injury claim going on, but that is taking ages to get sorted out.  Especially as the maintenance company are not accepting liability.  My solicitor says I have a great case, otherwise he wouldn't have taken it on.

I'm taking anti-depressants and loads and loads of painkillers, which are killing my insides.

I've got to lose weight and it's hard work, especially as I can't do much - everyone says swimming, but I have extreme pain trying to get in and out of the pool - I can't do steps or stairs - I do exercises for my knees and my back but that is not helping me lose weight.

I'm fed up and don't know what to do - other than using my imagination and drifting onto beautiful places on the virtual getaway that helps destress me.

Sorry if I'm just moaning - I try my best not to - I know that my family and friends can get very bored - thanks for just listening.

Bye :)
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
Re: I'm Back After a While and I just want to vent
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 04:57:02 PM »
Hi Lizzie,
so sorry you are having such a hard time.
With any luck you'll win your claim - you certainly deserve to - especially as you had already been on to the maintenance company.
It must be difficult - wanting to exercise to lose some weight to help your knees, but not being able to because of the pain. How about trying upper body exercises?
I guess different pain-killers have been tried?
I can identify with friends and family getting bored with knee problems - but here you wont bore anyone - vent away - if it helps its a good thing!
Are you still seeing an OS?
Best of luck with everything - Spring is on its way (things always seem a little better when the sun is out).
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 07:04:06 PM »
No worries, Lizzie--we're here to listen to you vent as well as dream :).

I'm sure that a lot of us feel your frustration--it especially must be tough with the length of time you've been working on recovery.  And while you know you have a good case against the maintenance company, it also requires a great deal of patience to see it through.  No wonder you get stressed.

I wish I knew a good solution for losing weight.  I never exercised much, but I did walk a lot just in my natural day patterns.  I put on a few pounds since the injury and just recently started to be more careful about my diet in hopes of dropping the weight.  I took a pound off from the "peak", so hopefully that means it's working.  I hate dieting and normally modify my exercise to keep my shape, but I see this as one of the cases of necessity.

I also sympathize with the stomach effects of medication--I have a suite of chronic stomach/organ problems that complicate this for me.  I'm sure you already do this, but make sure you always faithfully take your medications with food unless they specifically say to take on an empty stomach.  When my stomach is having a bad day, salty foods help me (like soups, which are also low fat), as well as McDonald's chocolate milkshakes (I can't explain it, but they work!), lowfat cottage cheese, nutrition bars (SlimFast and PowerBar Harvest work best for me, and they really do give me energy), and of course, lots of water.

Look at it this way--maybe the stomach upset you get with the meds can help keep the weight off!  (OK, maybe that's a stretch at optimism...) :)

Take care and hang in there!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 07:14:32 PM »
Hi Lizzie from the UK!

What are you currently doing about your injuries? When do you see your docs again? No one should have to live in constant pain with no hope. Is there a plan for you?

Worried about you,
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 08:53:04 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies.

I'm on Tylex, Tramadol and Dolobid, depending on what my stomach feels like. †I am also on diazepam which I take breakfast, lunch and dinner. †I have pain relief creams, such as Feldene and other creams. †I also have a tablet that I have to take first thing in the morning to stop my heartburn etc. †I also take an antidepressant to keep my spirits up!!

My OS has more or less said that I need to lose weight before he can do anything else. †I've been told by another OS that he thinks that I need to have either a patellectomy, or even a HTO on my right knee.

The worst thing was having both knees operated on at the same time. †At least when you have one done at a time, you can put your weight through the other. †My back hurts in various places - I do go and see a chiropractor in Middlesex who is excellent - only problem is that he charges £25 per visit which, when you've got to rely on sickness benefit goes nowhere - I've still got my mortgage to pay and until yesterday had a loan to pay off my BMW convertible.

I was also told that I have hypermobility syndrome!!

My new GP is helping me to lose weight - but I'm going to see if he can help me go and see a pain clinic.

My ankle was killing me the other day - it felt like it was when I injured it - must just be the weather!

I think I've gone on too much - but that's just my luck - that's why I escape onto the virtual getaway - it's amazing how my imagination can go wild and take me away from the pain that I'm in!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 08:55:09 PM by Lizzie »
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 10:19:59 PM »
Wow Lizzie from the UK,

You are really going through the wringer! I am sure that with that long list of stuff you have had done you have gotten multiple opinions, but just in case I thought I would ask. Seems like they should be able to do something for you regardless of weight. That sounded like a cop out to me.

Is your car paid off now? Hopefully you are managing to hold everything together.

When do you see your docs again?

Still worried bout you,
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 12:48:23 AM »
I'm not seeing anyone at the moment - I'm just doing nothing at the moment - I know I should do something, but I just don't have the energy.  

I'm going to have to see someone soon 'cos both my knees are giving way and catching.

Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 01:42:48 AM »
i underdstand your depression with the inability to excercise and take weight off. the extra weight i have added since my accident is depressing and i know cardio is best way to work it off. i can't bend my leg so bike is out and i can not do stairs, so i am in same boat.  i watch what i eat  and do as many different stretches and excercises i can do. it is at least helping pschologically as my flexibility has increased (except in my right leg )   and i stay away from the scale. i keep thinking that i will be able to get back to where i was. keep your faith, you will get better and vent when ever you need to.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2003, 10:31:07 AM »
Lizzie,
I don't know what your town or area is like , but can you ring around and see if there is a wheelchair freindly pool, these have either a ramp or a lift to get into and out of the water, that would relieve some of the pressure and pain of getting into and out of the pool (try ringing disability services, rehab centres, arthritis foundation and hospitals as a 1st step.
IF your fall also occurred on your way home from work you may be covered under workers Compensation becuase you are actually covered from when you leave home to when you return home again. So maybe this is an option also.
For finances, can you look into some kind of temporary (or permanent disability) cover, so that you at least have finances and reduce I HUGE hassle and STRESS.
Good luck and here is hoping for help and relief (both with the pain and finances).
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 11:54:29 AM »
Oh Lizzie  :'(

What a horrible year for you.

With any luck, the evidence you have against the maintence compnay will shine through and you will win your compensation case, I know it not jus about the money, rather more, it's aout companies like that taking responsibility for their lack of action which has led to a nasty accident and ruined more than a  year of your life.

With regards to the pills ruining your insides, try the supplement acidophillius, with has friendly bateria in and replaces the balance in your stomach which has been killed off by anti depressants and pain killers, they take a while to work but they do have an effect not just on the body but on the mind too.

Do you have any friends close by who could pop in and give you an hour of pampering to lift your spritis at all?

I really hope thing are starting to pull upwards for you Lizzie, take care

Good luck
Iona x

SL99

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2003, 12:19:39 AM »
Hi Lizzie,

I am so sorry you are having such a rotten time and wish I could say or do something to make things easier for you. It's so sad that you are suffering so much when you've brought so much love, support and release to people here with your virtual getaway  :'(

I agree whole heartedly with Iona in that you deserve a good pamper! You've put so much effort into making other people feel good it's only fair that you treat yourself to something special  :)

Take care and I really hope that thing finally take a turn for the better for you very soon. I'll be thinking of you and I'm here if you need a chat or hug anytime.

Love and hugs......Jo
xxx

P.S. Sorry for being nosey, but whereabouts in the UK are you?

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 01:06:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for such GREAT feedback - I will look into seeing if there is a pool that I can use for swimming that has wheelchair access.

I will take the acidopholus again - I did a while back but run out of it and then forgot about it - brilliant idea.

Workers comp - I will look into this, but I don't know if this is available in UK.

Disability living allowance - I've just been told that I can apply for this and the likelihood of getting it is quite high.

I just want to say that I really do appreciate everything that everybody has said - you are just the GREATEST.

Pampering - well my few friends are either too lazy, married or have moved away - that's probably depressed me alot - I do have wonderful parents that have come to my rescue - and of course I have you guys to make me feel wonderful.

I live just outside of London, near Hillingdon, Middlesex.

Take care everyone - sending you all big hugs and kisses.

Lizzie xxooxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

SL99

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2003, 02:57:10 PM »
Hi Lizzie,

I really wish I lived a bit closer to you - I'm up in the frozen north of England right now ( next stop Scotland kind of thing!) If I was a lot closer I'd be straight round to help you with that pampering you deserve though!  ;)

I'm glad that you can find some solace and support here on the site though and of course the virtual hugs are in endless supply any time you need them!  :)

Hmmm, I'm just thinking. Perhaps we could borrow a little form your virtual getaway thread and start a virtual pampering thread?! That way you could at least pretend to have that massage, maincure, day at a health spa or whatever traet takes your fancy?! Just an idea.  :)

Take care of youself and let me know if I can help with either of the virtual worlds.

Love.......Jo
xx

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 08:39:42 AM »
Jo

If you are willing - I'd love it if we could keep the virtual getaway going full steam ahead - I think that everyone on here has a great sense of humour and fantastic imaginations - it would be a pity for it to fall behind in any way as at the moment I'm not doing so well and I could do with some help.

Hope you are okay.

Lots of love
Lizzie
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline dennisd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »
Hi Lizzie

I'm watching you tonight to make sure your keeping in good spirits hon. I've had a bad enough day for the entire board and I'll be darned if I'm going to let anyone slip into a somber space if I'm able to keep a positive attitude. Also please, please please please please keep the Virtual Getaway thread going. It brings so much joy into my day when I am able to post there.

Dennis
LR 11/14/02
PCL Recon 2/14/03
Scope 3/12/03
Oct 2003 Left knee surgery
1/04 yet more knee surgery