Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tore meniscus  (Read 2914 times)

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tore meniscus
« on: September 03, 2005, 12:49:00 AM »
i tore my meniscus... its not a bad tare though and the doctors think that it might heal on its own. they said they wanted to give me a corozone shot or something and i decided not to. :-\ how long does this take to heal? will it heal in like 2-3 months because i really want to play basketball!!!! i already have to sit out soccer :'( it will suck if i have to sit out sports all year :( if u know anything about a tore meniscus or have any suggestions that will help plz tell me.
thanx,
nicki

Offline eco49rvra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: tore meniscus
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 01:31:29 AM »
Did you have an MRI done? Usually that will give your doctor a more precise idea where the damage to the meniscus is and exactly how bad. If the damage is in an area with blood supply, it could heal on its own, but a lot of the time, damage is done away from the blood supply, and these types of tears won't heal.

Are you having any issues with your range of motion, or is there a lot of pain? Sometimes debris from the torn meniscus gets caught in the joint or causes it to catch, causing pain and motion issues. In this case your doctor might want to go in arthroscopically and clear out this debris, and either shave down and smooth down the tear (recovery time for this is pretty quick- something like 4-6 weeks to be 100%), or stitch it back together (recovery time for this takes longer). Sometimes they'll have you do physical therapy to see if the problem resolves on its own.

I hope that helps some. Best of luck with your recovery!
kristen
2/2005- injured knee in police academy
4/2005- lateral & medial meniscus cleanup... SURPRISE! ACL is completely torn, too!
5/20/2005- ACL reconstruction (patellar autograft)

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 03:03:21 AM »
Hi...

I agree with Kristen...I would try to look into things a little bit further to get some more information. I am not really sure what the doctor hopes to accomplish by having you sit out soccer if he isn't going to do something first to promote the healing process.

Heather
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline lunch_lady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 05:52:18 AM »
I just found out today that I have the same problem. Slipped on some water on the floor at work and twisted my knee. Did an MRI today and they found a meniscus tear. Naturally with it being a holiday weekend can't get an appointment with a OS till Tuesday at the earliest to find out how bad it is. So now I have to sit and stew all weekend worrying about the fact that I may have to have surgery! I'm a worrier anyway and this has sent me over the edge!!!!

LoriAnn

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 05:00:01 PM »
loriAnne i know exactly how u feel!! it just sux not rly knowing.  well the doc. also gave me some stretches to do to help it heal quicker. the stretches stretch the hip. so i think they expect that to get the blood flow moving better or something. do u guys think that it will heal on its own. the docs. said that surgery at this stage would not be worth it because the tear isnt big enough yet. :-\ so i dont rly know what to do because he said to rest it for 3-4 weeks but i have already done that and it hasnt got any better. >:(
thanks for your replys
nicki

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 05:20:54 PM »
Nicki, Do you have problems moving it? or with walking on it? Because what I have found that if you usually have these problems it won't heal on its own. But this is just my opinion. I did PT for about 1.5months it didn't help me at all. Every OS is different though. Just rest it and ice it for the next 3-4 weeks and see how it goes. I wouldn't think your OS would do a cortozone shot though. Usually this just puts a bandaid on the problem and doesn't fix it. If you have any questions just IM me. Good luck Nicki!

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 05:29:41 PM »
while im walking i dont really have a problem with it but by the end of the day it hurts. do u think i should just go ahead and get the cortzone shot? ???
nicki

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 08:00:07 PM »
i have the most pain when i walk up steps or run. :( im not sure if the could mean the tear could b getting worse  :'(. well i better get goin!

Nicki

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:27:18 AM »
hey guys,
how soon do u think i might b able to get back to playing sports? has anyone had a good non-surgical treatment that worked and didnt take that long? if anyone knows of away plz tell me!!!!!! ;)
thanx,
          nicki

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »
Here's a good summary of meniscal tear issues, surgical and non-surgical treatment, and recovery periods.  It's my understanding that a tear won't heal on its own--even if no surgery is done, usually the patient has activity modification (REST being the cornerstone of this!), physical therapy, possibly knee bracing, and lots of anti-inflammatories, ice, and resting with the knee in an elevated position.

Read through all the tabs in this link, from overview to FAQ's--it will hopefully answer a lot of your questions.  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp

Heather

PS I think it's great that your OS is willing to try conservative means.  Not every tear needs surgery, but every meniscal tear should be carefully evaluated and followed in terms of watching your symptoms and modifying your activities.  You've got to do your part and rest the joint, and your OS should help you get into physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the joint to take some of the pressure off it.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »
hey heather,
thanx a lot for that website it helped a lot!!! :D hopefully i ll b able to get back to sports soon and this stupid tear will heal!!!
thanx again,
                   nicole

Offline paultom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 02:21:50 PM »
I have the same problem and as others have said..you need an MRI to confirm it. The tear can be removed with surgery and only a 3 week recovery i have been told. The down side is the waiting list! 18months

Offline lunch_lady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 03:55:50 PM »
Well, finally got in to see an OS and he says the tear has become dislocated (or something) and is causing my knee to lock up. So I have to have surgery on the 21st to remove the torn piece. He also said that I ma have some damage to the ligament also, since there was pain on the side when he felt it. I've never had surgery (except for a c-section) and am really nervous..

LoriAnn

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 11:25:45 PM »
Good luck LoriAnn! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Let us know how it goes.

Nicki, How have you been doing lately???

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 01:00:21 AM »
Hi Lunch lady
Don't worry the surgery isn't too scary (far less scary than a c section) all you'll have when you wake up is a couple of holes no more than a cm, probably not even stitched (I've just got a couple of steri strips), it might be bandaged and will be swollen oh and you might have a sore throat for a couple of days but not everyone gets that. I'm glad you're getting it sorted soon it's sometimes a long wait.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!