Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL pulls off piece of bone  (Read 1605 times)

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL pulls off piece of bone
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:28:17 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Back at the hospital last night. The Doctor xrayed (the usually unhelpful device for me) my knee and thinks my MCL has torn off a piece of bone. He gave me an injection for pain as I was blacking out. Has anyone out there experienced this? I can not explain the agony of this. I have never felt anything close to this pain. Oh and now he put in a knee immobilizer instead of my brace. It feels more stable but I know it is not good for ROM to be in the immobilizer for to long. Anyway if anyone has experienced this before please please respond.

Thank you and take care

Shannon

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: MCL pulls off piece of bone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:42:50 AM »
Hey !!

Did he say how long you should wear it or if you need surgery ? So you don't get along with it for long and then get worse problems. What is the injury from beginning ?
Further down this site you can read more about MCL damages maybe you can ask there too.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:41:48 PM »
Hello Nettan ;D

I originally hurt myself on vaction last year in Jamaica. I was thrown from a banana boat an d my leg got caught and I ended up tearing my ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus and dislocated my patella. I had surgery for my meniscus just a trimming but no repair work on ligaments. My PT was shocked as she said my knee is extremely loose (this was was post op PT). Well I went back to work for about 6 months and tripped on Aug.4. It has been down hill since then. My whole leg and was swollen for 3 weeks and bruised from mid thigh to eventually the tip of my toes. The swelling actually went down for a couple of days however, my knee started to crack and lock. It did that for about 48 hrs and while I had taken off my brace for a moment my knee cracked so loud and locked for about 24 hrs. I'm so scared because the pain is so severe and I've always managed pain quite well and now I watch the clock to see when I can take my next dose of pain medication. There are so many ups and downs with these kind of injuries as the is no definative answer until proper tests are done...I guess my last injury I relied on PT for strengthening and rehab, it just really sucks that it has been over four weeks and I can't even get past the basics like pain management and swelling.
P.S. I have to take off the splint tomorrow and put my brace back on (big and black with tons of foam and velcro...it goes from upper thigh to ancle). There are dials on each side of knee to adjust ROM but right now when I am laying down it feels like my tibia is laying on the other side of the bed. Sorry for gushing Nettan its has been a painful weekend.

Nice talking to you and thankyou for your time

Shannon

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »
Hi jama,

I have never experienced that type of fracture in the leg, but have numerous times from "dislocating" fingers in football.  It's called an evulsion fracture and usually immobilization which approximates the fragment with the break point will allow the fragment of bone to  regrow into its proper area.  Sorry you have to experience a double injury/insult with such pain all at one time. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 06:00:08 PM »
Hi raquetball :)

Evulsion you say, thank god for the internet! I'll have to look that up as I did not know the "scientific" name for it. The doctor at the time did not know what to do at the time because he wanted me to see OS the next morning but my OS was on holidays and the other doctor (on call ) was only in clinic on Thursdays the day before I see my OS on Friday......Confusing I know. Anyway I am in the immoblizer for only 3 days and I am affraid to put my brace on because it feel as though my tibla is not attached at all (it feels like my leg is dead from my knee down, the pain mind you is very much alive unfortunately! LOL) Thank you very much for your concern as it is very welcoming at a time's like this.

Take care :)

shannon

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »
Shannon, I can feel your pain, sorry you have to go on like this. I live with severe pain 24/7 and when my pain were as worst someone couldn't even touch the bed or I would scream of pain.
So you are seeing your doc on friday, am I right ? Meanwhile try get hold on a doc, GP or someone, to get better painmeds if they aren't working, in worst case got to ER. You need at least help with your pain NOW.
Sending hugs and hope of better days coming !!

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 07:52:48 PM »
Why do you have to take the immobilizer off after three days? If you haven't seen the OS yet and you feel it is giving you better support, I'd leave it on. You won't really know what's going on until you see the OS, so I would protect that knee as much as you can until then. And it sounds like an emergency situation to me if you are in that much pain. You need to see an OS before Friday!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.