Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "Dent" in Quad  (Read 7427 times)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Ą fin
"Dent" in Quad
« on: September 02, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »
I actually noticied this a while ago but thought nothing of it until now. If I run my hands down the outside of my leg, basically between the front and the outside really.

On my bad leg about just over half way down if you are measuring from my hip you can feel a huge dent. Don't have a better word for it. As if nothing is there. On my good leg at the same point it just flows smoothly. I assume its a point where 2 of the quad muscles cross. But as I said on my bad leg there is a huge dent there.

It sort of runs like this on my bad leg. (This isn't a picture of my leg btw)

Maybe slightly higher up. But it's at that sort of angle and goes about that far round towards the middle if you know what I mean. Having a quick look around people have had these dents after leaning against things for a long time or from office chairs. I don't lean against anything at that height and it definately isnt the chair because the arm doesn't reach that for forward.

It's about 1inch to 2 inch wide and I would say about 3 - 4 inch long before it returns to what is normal.

I really took notice after my new exercises and I had  pain at the top of my quad near my pelvis. The "dent" itself doesn't hurt though.

Anyone any ideas ? Or am I just being paranoid!

Thanks.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: "Dent" in Quad
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 02:21:03 PM »
Could it just be muscle wastage? My quads certainly don't look the same when comparing one leg to the other.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ą fin
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »
It could be. But it just seemed like such an isolated area for that.....

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »
I have no clue, did you have an injection there?

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 08:43:20 PM »
the pain near your pelvis.. if it's like SLR's or anything you are doing you should be careful.   There are important ligaments and Tendons.. and leave it me to not remember the names up there... top of the quads.. near the hip that you can damage easily by doing Straight LEg raises etc. :-\ So do be careful...
as to the dent.. well Helena is probably ont he right track, if you've had an injection or a previous injury. I have a HUGE hole.. basically where my right lateral quads should be.. where I was bitten by a horse 4 summers ago.  The muscle tissue was damaged. 
Just a thought
linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ą fin
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 09:27:10 PM »
Never had any injections there. Or surgery or anything like that. Or even an injury up there. That's what confuses me lol.

Everyone who has something it's either from leaning against something or from an injection or something.

Quick look at medical pictures and things about the quads the pain I got at the top near my pelvis appears to be exactly where the sartorius and illio-tibial band connects to the pelvis (assuming i am looking at them correct and they are in the same place lol).

Another quick look also shows that the sartorius flexes the hip and knee, rotates femur medially and rotats tibia laterally. My knee pain is  medially.

Could be related to my knee problem. Will ask physio about that if it still hurts when I next see him in 2 weeks.

The dent is still a mystery though lol.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 02:22:24 PM »
Hey There Prof...
Something that can cause dents on your flesh is vertilligo (sp?) maybe you should look it up...??
I'm not exactly sure what it is, i have just heard of it.
I suppose it's likely it could be from muscle damage as well...it seems like a bit of a mystery!!
Goodluck :)
Pip!
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 03:31:38 AM »
I had a dent in my quads as well for several months after surgery.  My "dent" went cross ways, not down and basically when you ran your hand on top of the quad in a seated position you could feel a huge dip in the quad.  I still have it 4 months after surgery for reallignment, but it's starting to come back.  My physical therapist said it had a lot to do with the weakened quad muscles.  She was basically right because the more I have strengthened the quad, the less the dent. 

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07