Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unknown swelling, maybe someone can help?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Whizbang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Unknown swelling, maybe someone can help?
« on: February 26, 2003, 06:01:51 AM »
Hello everyone. I ride park bmx and about a month ago took a pretty good thrashing to my knees. I lost balance in the air and came down from about four feet up onto both knees. Four a couple days afterward both knees were very sore, and have since felt like they had strings stretched across the kneecaps. Only the right has given me pain but only under certain circumstances. If I touch it in a certain spot in the middle of my patella it feels as if someone is stabbing me. A couple of weeks ago my left knee began to swell and fluid began collecting on top of my kneecap. I still had no pain in that knee, but it was swollen and protruding out about a half-inch or more higher than usual. I went riding a couple of weeks ago and eversince the swelling in the left knee has gone down more and more and is now back to normal. However, a few days ago my right knee began to swell and is in the same shape the left one previously was. I know I probably should have gone to the doctor after I hurt me knees, but seeing as how the left one went down on its own, should I wait on the right one to do the same or should I have it checked? Even though the sweliing is down in the left knee, I can still feel lumps of tissue and stringy tissue across the kneecap. I know this is a huge post but I figure seeing as how this is a knee messageboard maybe someone has expeienced something like this before. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Clint

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Unknown swelling, maybe someone can help?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 07:46:17 AM »
Clint,

My problem was immediately apparent, as I broke my kneecap and was in nearly unbearable pain--but I've learned from reading posts from other people here that the extent of damage is not always obvious in what can turn out to be some pretty serious knee problems.

You'll probably hear from others just what I'm going to advise, and that is to go to an orthopedic doctor to have your knees evaluated. Try to start with an orthopedic, who is qualified to assess your knees, unless your insurance requires a referral from a GP. You might even go to the emergency room.

Your knees are sending you signals. It may be something that will go away on its own, but you should err on the side of caution. This knee thing can be a life-altering situation, so get it checked out soon.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 01:45:40 PM »
Hey Clint,
Sorry to hear about your knees.
I agree with LizL - your knees are sending signals, and you should get them checked out... you may be storing up problems for the future.
My first symptom was swelling in both knees - and 3.5 yrs later I still have bad synovitis in one...
The swelling indicates there may be some sort of damage or irritation going on - X-rays should be able to tell if there is any bone damage, or an MRI may be appropraite.
The swelling you get on top of your knee cap I think is called pre-patellar bursitis.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 08:56:41 PM »
I'm just adding to the list of posters to tell you to go and see your doctor.  Swelling means that there is something wrong with a joint, ie, your knee.

Check the doctor out and see if you can get either a X-Ray or an MRI.
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Whizbang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 02:08:54 AM »
Thanks for the input. I knew most likely the best thing to do was have it checked but sincce the swelling went down once I figured maybe I should wait. But I've read up on some knee issues and just because the swelling is down doesn't mean no damage was done so I'll go asap and get checked out. Thanks again.

Clint

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 05:07:54 AM »
Clint,

That's such a relief! Please keep us up to date. We so love to hear good news, and we hope your news will be just that!

LizL :)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March