Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Term Chrondromalcia after crush injury to knee--insurance dispute  (Read 1034 times)

Offline spattan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Term Chrondromalcia after crush injury to knee--insurance dispute
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »
I saw the article written by Dr. Ronald Grelsamer dated Oct 05, 2004 about is it really chonromalacia--such a broad term.
My husband was 46 when he was severely crushed by a steel dumpter operated by hydralic pressure.  He's had six surgeries and is awaiting bilateral  partial knee replacements. (his whole body sustained injuries)
Workers comp department is stating that chrondromalacia grade IV is not a covered condition (pre-exisiting).  Even though it had not been diagnosed in the past, he hadn't seen a doctor for over 9 years.  But the ortho surgeons are saying that the damaged cartlidge, and  bone on bone is the result of the accident.
IS the problem the term.  Should we be using another term.  Any resources you can give me to read, I'd really appreciate it.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Term Chrondromalcia after crush injury to knee--insurance dispute
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:22:13 PM »
You could ask his doctor is there is another diagnosis he could use. I found that it did make a difference as to diagnosis and what the insurance company would cover. I had two diagnoses: chondromalacia and internal derangement of knee. The insurance company wouldn't cover anything unless they used chondromalacia. It's certainly worth a try to get it changed.

Although cartilege damage can occur over time, it can also be directly related to a trauma to the knee. Perhaps his doctor could also explain that it was a result of a trauma.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Term Chrondromalcia after crush injury to knee--insurance dispute
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »
I had what could be called chondro from an trauma to my knee. Another name for it is chondral defect. It can also be called articular cart. damage.  Maybe your surgeon will change his wording so that the insurance will cover it. I am absolutley sure that mine was caused by my accident. Just talk to your OS , I am sure that he will help you out.
good luck
missy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:16:15 PM by stgiles16 »
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine