Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruined knee!  (Read 7452 times)

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruined knee
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 03:34:35 PM »
Ladies,

Quite interesting, to say the least. My impression is that Kyla's doc sees it as helpful....but I may be misinterpreting. Something new really does come along every day, doesn't it folks?

Kyla, hope you can straighten me out on this one   :-\

All my best.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:04:36 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

shadehawk

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 04:16:15 PM »
Liz,

Yes, I re-read Kyla's post and think you are correct.  But, there is something wrong here.....

Now, I have OA behind my patella and they do not want me using weights at all - they tell me that it is speeding up the OA damage behind the patella.....I am not to be doing step-ups, lunges and wall squats.  You know all the stuff they had me do before surgery - the stuff we now feel ruined my knees....The OS says one thing and therapist says another.....

Somehow, all these different theories taxes my brain.  One physio pushes, another says rest - the doctor has other views.....It is a very hard thing to muddle through.  Guess you just have to go with something that seems to work for you.

We all almost have to become doctors to treat our knee problems....

Confused Shade
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:21:40 PM by Shade »

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »
So true, Shade. We get such mixed messages!

One professional recommends one thing, the next believes another. And often each is so staunch in his/her belief, you just don't know what to do! Arghhh...

This is one of the reasons I asked you if you ever considered just locking your knee straight until someone comes up with a course of action; so you can assure yourself you aren't doing more damage by actually using it!  Humph.... what to do????
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:04:06 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 07:29:43 PM »
Hi all,

I've come to the conclusion that I should do exactly as my OS tells me. Nothing more, nothing less. I push myself with physion, albeit uselesswly at the moment, but I ask him so many questions trhat I think I know almost as much as he does. This seems to work for me.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 07:44:16 PM »
Laura,

Good for you, ask away! It's smart to ask questions, after all, they are your knees!
By the way, when do you get back to work, in full swing?

All my best.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:03:45 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi Liz,

Well, it goes like this. I had the surgery on 5th. June. Had 8 weeks off sick then a few weeks annual leave. Back at work in the office on 31st. August. have been office bound ever since. Since then, my Personnel Dept have insisted that my OS gives something in writing to say I can drive. They have no probs with me being out on site, on uneven ground, with holes in the ground etc - Strange!!
Yesterday they said a note from my GP would suffice. I obtained this note stating I was fit to drive this morning. I showed my line manager and handed it in to Personnel. My manager daid she didn;t want me to go out on site until she gives me the OK. I managed to get Personnel to send me an e-mail stating they were happy with me driving. I forwarded this e-mail to my manager. She still doesn't want me to go out.
Fortunately, I get into work about 90 mins before her every morning. (Cos we can being at 7am if we want to, but don't have to srat until 10am if we choose).
So tomorrow, I'm going into work, picking up files and going straight out on site. Fed up sitting around office. I have bent over backwards to accommodate what they want. Now it's my turn.
 :P

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 10:10:04 PM »
Hey Laura,

How frustrating! It's like pulling teeth, sometimes. I'll be interested to hear how things go tomorrow. Just don't get yourself in trouble... ;)

Take care.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:03:21 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 12:25:17 AM »
Thanks Liz,

Can't get myself into trouble. I've done everything they've asked. They just being arsy. They'll see when I get ack into the office with both legs still attached and no more trauma to my knee. Then they'll have to accept it.

If not, maybe I'll contemplate throwing my manager off the roof of our building! Although it'd be a bit chilly up there at this time of year.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 12:51:58 PM »
Hi,

Things are looking up - Waaa heeeey!   ;D ;D ;D

I got to work this morning to find an e-mail my manager had sent me no more than 5 minutes after I left the office yesterday saying I still can't go out on site.

I'd aready arrange to go out, so I did so. In the meantime, Personnel officers responded to her e-mail for me telling her that as I was signed off to go back to work and had a docs note to be able to drive (not that there was any procedural or legal requirement for this) then I can go out on site as necessary.

I have physio at the Hospital tomorrow morning so I'm going straight out on site from there to get stuck into the backlog of work.

I feel like it's Christmas. Will be very careful not to overdo it though. Don't wanna land back in A&E, or worse, emergency surgery.

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2005, 02:05:20 PM »
Laura,

Good news! So, today will be a full day! Hope you'll post this evening to let us know how you're feeling. I know what a battle it can become, dealing with the medical issues and employers too, but you've handled it wonderfully. Kudos!

Hope you have a great day.

All my best.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:02:07 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »
Laura...great news that you can be out on the site and back to work as much as normal!

Ladies, my take on Kyla's post about polishing the knee, is that quite often when the cartilage is gone and the bones rub on bone, there is a point in time where the bone is polished smooth...making pain lessen for a bit, if you can believe that!  That's how it was explained to me when I questioned at one point in time why I went through a time frame of much less pain.  Of course, bone spurs and broken bits also became a problem!

Kyla..I agree with the rest that it would be a great idea to get some more opinions on your knee.  Surely something can be done for you!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »
Hi all,

My manager wasn't in work today - shame - I was looking forward to a good argument!   >:(

I've had final confirmation from Personnel that I can go out on site, no probs. Still not working full time yet. Can't complain though - still getting my full salary. I'm working mornings only until I've see Occ Health. I don't really mind as I finish at midday, get home for around 1230 at the latest adn I have the rest of the day to do as I please.
At the moment all I'm managing to do is sleep in the afternoons 'cos either knee pain or my son keeps me up at night. It would be handy at times like this to be vampire!

Regards,

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2005, 01:58:45 AM »
Laura,
How great, working half days. Helps get you back into the groove gently. A shame your manager wasn't in today, but tomorrow is a new day...{giggle}, and you'll get another crack at her! Sounds like you are in good spirits, that's always a good thing.

Hope each day gets a bit better than the last.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:01:39 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2005, 02:47:37 AM »
Liz,

Things can always get better!   ;D

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Kyla

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »
Hi all....

Sorry I have not answered you guys earlier.  I went to the gym on Monday, got into the horrbile upside down leg press thingy....My Physio said to try and take the weight on my knee to see if it could handle it and silly me...I folded my good leg a bit behind and as I came down with the weight...my knee dislocated and the weight came crashing down, trapping my good leg under and pushing down on my dislocated leg.....So that was a little dramatic.  Therefore, I have been stuck on the couch the last few days.  Lesson learnt...always keep the good leg handy.

OK where do I start.....first thing - don't forget I live in the ice ages way down here in New Zealand and I think here, at med school, the first lesson is how to stick your fingers in your ears and hum so you cannot hear what people are saying.  I hear about all of your operations, and all the neat stuff you guys get ie...ice machines etc....  Don't even think they use those here.  As for the polishing of my kneecap, I was told that due to the "chunk" I tore out on the first dislocation, I have to cycle my little heart out to smooth aka."polish" the area that it came from.  But you know what...?  It really hurts and I would love to not have to get on that bike every day.  If I peddle uphill, I feel like someone is sticking a knife right through my knee and I always think..."how is this good for my knee?"  But this was told to me by New Zealand's finest, therefore I just accepted it.

The other thing I was thinking...I have had one MRI and one CT Scan all within 3 weeks of my first dislocation and even though I have continually had dislocations and mentioned the pain and swelling, not once have I been sent for another MRI...Is this odd?  Could there be more damage?  Each time I go to the two different OS's they continually look at the same MRI taken two years ago.  I must admit....after reading what you guys have said...maybe I should not accept this?  (but then I am a 6ft chicken when it comes to doctors).  Any opinions will be most gratefully received.......

And Laura...Oh my goodness...think I have seen those apartments on television and I often wonder what it would be like....you must hear your neighbours sneezing?

Thanks to you all.......its so nice to air out the frustrations, hope you are all well and looking after yourselves

Kyla...
Sept 03  Removal on chondral defect and arthoscopy after left knee disolocation.  Frequent subluxations and maltracking
Scheduled for Surgery on May 21st 04:  TTT, LR and Medial reefing

support