Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruined knee!  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
Re: Ruined knee
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 03:37:21 PM »
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!!!!!!! BLAH!!  :'(   :'(    :'(
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 03:11:41 PM »
Good news folks!

From Wednesday I can go out on site again and do my job properly. Apparently my employers were only concerned about me driving too much. I'm going to see my GP tomorrow so I'm going to ask him for a note to say no probs with driving. Wa hey!

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 03:16:20 PM »
Laura,

Great news! It's hard enough to go through these knee troubles, without having our livelihood pulled out from underneath us too! I'm pleased for you.

When do you see the doc again for your MRI results, and what happens next?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:08:44 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 03:59:41 PM »
Hi Liz,

I have to wait for the MRI appointment - I've not had it done yet. I was thinking of seeing if I can get it any sooner by bugging my OS 'cos my knee keeps dislocating. All in all, it's been 4 times since surgery and each time is more painful. My OS knows about it and that's why I have to have the MRI, but whether it shows anything or not, what's the next step? Nobody seems to know.  :'(

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »
Laura,

So true, until you know what the underlying cause is, you won't know what the next step is. Just don't give up. Sometimes we have to kick their doors down to get them to really hear us.
If your patella is dislocating, then it won't magically get better, and simply leaving it could cause more damage.

Hope you are able to push up that MRI appointment. That's the first (next) step.

Keep us posted.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:08:03 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 04:11:16 PM »
Liz,

No need to worry - I don't give up easily. Just feel a bit sorry for myself at times ;)

Have just made a call to get appointment time brought forward. Not got anywhere yet. WILL KEEP TRYING.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Kyla

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 06:47:11 AM »
Hi Laura

I know just how you feel.  I have had the surgeries (still more to go!) ..... and yes, my knee still dislocates.  Something I am still trying to live with.  I use a brace, but that can be quite painful as well.  Least it stops the dislocations though.  I use a brace with the full patella support....looks like a round doughnut in the middle.  If you get one....I advise you to not get one with an opening in the middle of the "doughnut" as the swelling pops out through the opening...which is quite painful as well.  Some days I use it...other days I can't stand the thought of wearing it.  I completely understand and commiserate with you regarding how you feel.  I had a successful business before all of this which I lost, I bred horses...which I still try to do on a smaller scale with the help of my partner, and I also feel like ...."is this it?"  But one thing I have realised....Before all of this I was a workaholic and since this...I have had to stop and reassess life and realised that life just may have passed me by before this injury.  I knew my partner was great, but since this I really found out how truly wonderful he is and how supportive people can be.  Yes, I am also in a lot of pain, no sleep and the doctors say there is nothing they can do.  I still go to PT...I think it is important to have a great physiotherapist that you trust and can talk to.  I try to keep my quads strong....lots of weights to build the muscle up, which is excruciating....and my knee really swells up, but I figure...hey I'm in pain anyway.  I do a lot of cycling to apparently "polish the kneecap", and yes, that hurts as well.  When I get off my bike my knee is bright red.  My OS said that the dislocations mess up all the cartilage (can't be bothered with correct terminology) and cycling basically polishes it.......  So thats my life...pain, cycling, pain, no sleep, PT, pain,  gym and pain, pain, pain.  Sorry to sound depressing but just thought I'd let you know you are not alone, I know how you feel and yes...we just have to soldier on and when you feel like crap, find a nice big shoulder to rest your head and cry your eyes out, feel sorry for yourself and then back to PT, the gym, cycling and in general....back to life!!

Keep your chin up.... you're not alone.  Even though it hurts, try and get your quads strong...that will help support your knee.  Be careful and look after yourself...... Hope this helps and does not make you feel worse...

Kyla
Sept 03  Removal on chondral defect and arthoscopy after left knee disolocation.  Frequent subluxations and maltracking
Scheduled for Surgery on May 21st 04:  TTT, LR and Medial reefing

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 08:09:22 AM »
Hi Kyla,

Thanks for that. I really envy you - not because you have knee problems but because you work with horses. It's something I always wanted to do. But living in a terraced house in Birmingham, it's kinda difficult.

One thing that I found useful is that I have also had to slow down. Admittedly it wasn't from choice, but I'm glad I did. My 13 month old son keeps me going and even when I feel like giving up on my knee, he has me running about after him - usually making it hurt even more!   ;D

Regards,

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 08:27:57 AM »
Hey guys,

I've just been watching the news. There's a guy who lost the bottom part of his left leg as a result of the bombimgs on the London tube on 7th. July. He's already got himself home and does everything for himself. He refuses to be upset by it and just gets on with things. He's amazing. I really don't have anything to complain about. I'm gonna try to be as positive as he is.

Laura.

;D
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 12:01:07 PM »
Hi all,

Wa hey!!!!!   :D

I have a note from my GP to take to work stating that I'm fit to drive. I can now go out on site and do my own job,  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »
Laura - Wonderful news! Back to the land of the living!  By the way, reading your posts here, I"d hardly characterize your attitude as anything less than positive. Sure, we all have down days, and moments of doubt, but clearly you are of the mindset that there are answers, and you are going to find them. Kudos to you!

Kyla - Hi there! I see you're quite young, but wonder why there doesn't seem to be anything else the docs can do to control your dislocations? Also, I'd never heard of "polishing" the kneecap. Wouldn't that serve to damage, and wear off the remaining cartilage? I just wonder, when the cartilage is completely gone, do the dislocations start wrearing the bone? Hmmmm....I'm going to specifically ask my OS about that when I see him in a few weeks. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to ask before, perhaps because I assumed that's what happens.

It sounds like your present goal is to try to live with your situation (i.e., no additional surgery). You say you are still in PT? How long have you been gonig? I ask because before the procedure I had a little over two weeks ago, I had been in PT for nearly 14 months. I may start a thread to query others about lengths of time in formal PT.

I hope to learn more about your situation, and truly hope things will improve for you. I certainly do feel your pain. My patella has been dislocating for over 25 years. Each time is slips out, I'm catapulted into the air, only to land with a thug on the floor. It's moved beyond annoying to dangerous. So, I know how hard and painful it is to live with.

All my best to both of you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:07:15 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi Laura,
   Congrats on being allowed to go back to work, great news.  Keep working on getting that knee fixed, I have faith that you will someone that can do something to help.  And keep up the positive attitude, I agree with Liz in that I think you have always had a good attitude about the knee problems.

Kyla, I also agree with Liz that you need to keep looking to find someone to help you.  Personally I would not accept, especially at your age, that there was nothing else that could be done.  Good luck! 

Liz, when the PFJ is bone on bone dislocations do wear down the bone.  I have chipped pieces of bone off of the back of the patella during dislocations. 

Best of luck to everyone and hang in there!

Patty

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »
Hey Patty,

That's entirely what I thought. So, to hear Kyla speak about "polishing" the patella upset me. Can that be a good thing for the knee???

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:06:22 PM by My Sister Sam »
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 03:08:05 PM »
Liz,

I wonder what her OS meant by polishing?  Maybe he thinks riding the bike is doing the same thing as he would do if he were shaving the rough cartilage.  Maybe Kyla can ask him and let us know.

Patty

shadehawk

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 03:24:30 PM »
Hi,

Do you think he might mean that Kyla is 'polishing off her kneecap' by riding her bike.....meaning she is hurting her kneecap & cartilage more?? 

Do you wear a kneesleeve or some form of brace to keep your patella in place so it is not moving around during your biking?  When I rode my mt bike my knee used to be really red afterwards and I found bracing helped alot to keep my patella in place.  I have OA behind the kneecap and that is also a reason that I had so much pain biking, but the patella stabilizers do help with the pain....

Good luck, hang in there.

Shade

support