Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scope on Thursday  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Scope on Thursday
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »
I'm going for a scope to hopefully get my medial meniscus tear (hopefully that's all it is) sorted this week and thought I'd ask how long it has taken you all to get back to your sport? My sport is trampolining and I'm missing it but obviously don't want to rush back in too soon. I know it also depends on what action he takes while he's in there and if there is anything other than the buckethandle but assuming it's just a meniscectomy how long do you guys think it'll take to get bouncing again?
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
Re: Scope on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
Hey there :) Goodluck with your upcoming surgery :)
I've had my lateral meniscus tear fixed twice in day surgery in the last three years. The first time i wasn't back to sport until about 3-4 weeks maybe a bit longer, and the second time it was only about 3 weeks max until i could get back into some impact activity again. However, my sport was hockey, not trampolining. Even though hockey is quite high impact I think that because trampolining puts alot of stress on the knee joint as you land that you may have to wait longer than i did. Just make sure that you take it as slow as your body needs you too, if you go back sooner than you're supposed to you may find yourself having alot more time off your sport than you intended on with ongoing problems.

I hope everything goes well, let us know what goes on :)

Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
Thanks Pip, I've already been off since June so a few weeks longer I can live with :). I think my first target is to gain back the muscle I've lost (my left leg is now 3cm smaller than my right). I've been doing a bit of hands off coaching in the meantime but I'm longing to get back on, assuming I haven't lost my nerve after this.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »
Ouch just got back from hospital they were seriously considering keeping me in for a 3rd night. Anyway after expecting a medial meniscectomy I came away with 60% of my lateral meniscus left and no acl and a fully intact medial meniscus!! So now I have to recover from this and then wait for the acl recon!! The best bit is I nearly missed the appointment as I never had any paperwork from the hospital it was all phone calls. I phoned the day before and was told by the consultants secretary to phone the ward on the day at 9am to make sure they had a bed for me. Phoned the ward the day before at 4.45 (partners suggestion...he used to work there) to be told I was supposed to be on the ward at 5 and staying in the night before. oh well got there in the end

Offline eco49rvra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »
Oh no! I SO hate when that happens, Charlie... SURPRISE! Your ACL is gone. I had nearly the exact same thing happen. The kicker is, my arthro for lateral/medial meniscus tears was on April 1st, so when told me the ACL was completely torn, I half thought he was kidding.
2/2005- injured knee in police academy
4/2005- lateral & medial meniscus cleanup... SURPRISE! ACL is completely torn, too!
5/20/2005- ACL reconstruction (patellar autograft)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 07:57:46 PM »
Oh that's harsh...how are you getting on with your recon?

Offline eco49rvra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 01:53:58 AM »
My recon's going great. Physical therapy hasn't been nearly as bad as I had expected, and I only ever have minimal pain where the graft was taken from (patellar tendon). I just started running Thursday (just a wee bit over three months post-op), and I'm really excited about that, which is funny, because I used to hate running for the sake of running. Maybe this whole thing will turn me into a runner... or maybe not.

The six weeks I spent recovering from the initial surgery were an annoying waiting period. Do they have you doing PT in the mean time? If not, as soon as your doc says it's OK and you feel up to it, you might want to start basic exercises to keep the strength in the leg up. I did stationary bike during that time, and I think that probably helped me get back on my feet faster post-op, though in retrospect PT would have been even better.

Anyway, best of luck with your recovery. Someday you'll look back and laugh about it... someday. :D

kristen
2/2005- injured knee in police academy
4/2005- lateral & medial meniscus cleanup... SURPRISE! ACL is completely torn, too!
5/20/2005- ACL reconstruction (patellar autograft)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
I've got a follow up in two weeks (hopefully they'll let me know when this time) and some exercises to do in the mean time. The only problem I have at the moment is trying to walk as I'm terrified it will collapse again...the crutches are my friend along with the splint they gave me to stop me reverting to the bent knee I've had for months. I've got no idea when I'll be able to get the recon done as I assume it will be back on a list for that, but I want to be able to walk into the consultants office in a couple of weeks and show a good rom and maybe even some muscle strength, so he knows I'm serious about it.

support