Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain/discomfort from Crutches?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Pain/discomfort from Crutches?
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:34:19 PM »
Let's see.. I've been on crutches since July 13th I think. Whenever I had to walk for long periods of time through the grocery store or places like that, I would feel a twinge on my right tricep.. but I always just dismissed it. I was having some temporary arm numbness (while using the crutches, not after), and I found out later that I was using my crutches incorrectly.

My therapist showed me how to use them properly on Monday. I went to the grocery store after my appointment, and I had the tricep twinge again (even though I'm using my crutches properly). When I got home, my hand had gone numb/prickly, and now i have an uncomfortable prickly sensation from my elbow, down my forearm, on the back side of my hand, to the pinky and two fingers next to it). It seems like using the crutches irritates it, so I have not been leaving the house at all.

I have another appointment with my physical therapist on Tuesday, and I'm thinking of having my husband just carry me in on his back. I am worried I have some nerve damage or pinching. Has anyone else had this problem?
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Pain/discomfort from Crutches?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »
I have always found crutches to be very difficult to use until I got a stabalizer crutch   http://www.crutches.net/
This crutch really helped a lot.  I also have cervical and lumbar issues so a regular crutch just made those matters worse. This crutch has definitiely helped a lot
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 09:27:13 PM »
Yes, I also have spinal problems... i had a back injury two years ago, so i have 2 degenerative discs in my back that are really getting irritated from the crutches as well.

I do not have the money to spend on crutches right now though. I'm barely able to afford the physical therapy as it is.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:31:44 AM »
anyone else have problems with crutches?

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »
It amazes me that they don't show people the proper way to use crutches each and every time they are prescribed. It is a very common misconception that you are supposed to rest your underarms on the top of the crutch. They even call it crutch palsy. It sounds like that is what you had and if you have been using the crutches incorrectly for that long it may take a little bit of time for that sensation to wear away. But it should go away completely with a little bit of time. For now, just make sure that you are using them properly ALL the time and I bet you will find that the twinge will disappear.
Good Luck,
Becky

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 12:46:02 PM »
Ask for forearm crutches instead it might be easier or at least a change
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 03:03:10 PM »
Why not lend a wheelchair if there is one to use in the grocery store or maybe you can lend one through your phys when you go out longer walks.
Maybe you also can ask the phys for excercises for your upperbody to strenghten muscles around this area.
Just some thoughts.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:37:07 PM »
Do you know the pain from my crutches made my knee nothing in comparison.

I just gave up using them all together, much to the annoyance of my PT.

Just hope that u'll be off them soon

Blistering thoughts

M
x
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »
Why not lend a wheelchair if there is one to use in the grocery store or maybe you can lend one through your phys when you go out longer walks.
Maybe you also can ask the phys for excercises for your upperbody to strenghten muscles around this area.
Just some thoughts.

HUGS NETTAN  8)

I actually have a pretty strong upper body. I have been bodybuilding for over 2 years now (my injury actually happened while I was bodybuilding), and I have continued my upper body exercises (chest, arms, and back) since my injury occurred. So I really don't think my upper body strength is the cause of this. I have strong, shapely triceps, but the twinge does SEEM to originate from there.

You all say for me to use them properly in the future, but my arm was really irritated after I used them properly through the entire grocery store. I did a little research and I heard that the ulnar nerve in your arm can be hurt by putting pressure on the elbows and palm (a compression issue)... I have no clue what to think though. I will ask my therapist tomorrow when I see him.

In the past day it has turned from prickliness into an ache--which I prefer over that weird prickly feeling! I'm going to try to stay off of the crutches as much as possible, and I may call my therapist to see if we can temporarily rent out a wheelchair while we are there.

Offline Kayls23

• Regular Poster
  • Silly knees!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 10:27:27 PM »
I had a rather bad time with crutches too  :(. I was using them incorrectly and it made my lower back and arms ache.

Another problem I experienced was that the bottom of my hands started to ache and were generally sore. They got really red and I even had a blister or two. I had to moisturize more intensively and began to wear bike gloves to avoid it.  :( Man, I hated my crutches.

Any of you ever manage to slip on something wet whilst using crutches? I did twice, but thankfully, I only skidded and never fell over. Still scared the life out of me though  :o.

Kay. x
Femoral lateral wedge osteotomy in March 05, to correct Valgus Deformity.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »
Ooh I've done that. Once, after spraining my ankle I went out with some friends and ended up flat on my back much to their amusement and once this time about 2 days after I injured my knee. I thought I'd go for a hobble round the block(which took a while) and came back to find the cleaners had been round and washed all the communal area floors so I had to take tiny steps to get to my front door and still slipped a couple of times.  ::)
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Kayls23

• Regular Poster
  • Silly knees!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 12:39:04 AM »
Awh! It sucks does'nt it? One time in McDonalds, I slipped a little and collided with my friend. Damn people had'nt put up "wet floor" signs. Tis scary.

I've only ended up on my back once, whilst leaving the bathroom. The steam had made the floor slippery and I went up and landed on my back  :D. Thankfully, unlike you, nobody was there to witness it  :P.

Are you off your crutches now? Thankfully I've managed to ditch mine  ;D. On a random note, did you ever get dodgy looks from people whilst using your crutches? One time, I even had some girl say I did'nt need them  :o. And some people are so rude, like closing doors in front of you and stepping in your way.  >:( (lol).

Kay x

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »
Kay -Leigh,

Not only did I slip on something wet while on crutches, I did it while I was in the hospital! Boy, what a wipe out. Now, keep in mind, I was 15 at the time, but, I remember being so mad..... nurses put me back in bed, and ordered mw to stay there for the rest of the day.
One of my OS's came up to check me out and hear my tale of woe. So, there I was, telling him my story, and as I was finishing up, you know what he does? He LAUGHS! Arghhh.... I was so mad at him. The truth is, he knew I was okay, and was being a mischievious little devil. I adored him, but not that day!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:28:28 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Kayls23

• Regular Poster
  • Silly knees!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 12:58:40 AM »
hahahaha  :D you fell over in the hospital? Wow, how unlucky.  :P I'd have been frustrated too!  :P Thanks for sharing Liz, it's nice to hear from you again  ;D.

Kayleigh  :D

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 01:27:13 AM »
KayLeigh,

I know, I was so happy to see you online! You haven't been around much, so I couldn't help but chime in. I really, really hope you are doing much better now. You're such a sweetie.....

Hugs to you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:28:10 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

support